rush on vinyl

vitalsigns66

QUOTE (SalavatinArmy @ May 12 2005, 02:50 PM)
At a local flea market, I just recently found on vinyl:

Fly By Night
Caress Of Steel (gatefold)
2112 (gatefold)
Exit...Stage Left (double lp - gatefold)
Signals

$1-$2 each.

I also got a near-mint copy of Moving Pictures back in January for 25 cents.

And I got my girlfriend a chewed-up gatefold copy of Hemispheres last year for 75 cents.

Vinyl is ALWAYS superior to plastic. Records have a clarity, depth, warmth, and resonance that is lost in the translation to CD. It is party to do with the grooves & vibrations of vinyl. Vinyl also produces deeper, richer bass.

If CDs sound better to you than vinyl, then you (#1) dont have a very good turntable, and/or (#2) you're probably conditioned to the sound of CDs.

To arbitrarily make these kind of comments is incorrect! THERE IS a difference to the discriminate ear ( I believe ) in some of the works. Where albums particularly seem to have an advantage is when they were originally released only on vinyl and cassette but later on CD...IMHO. I don't appreciate the apparent knock on ones equipment with no knowledge of it. ( what in your professional opinion makes a good turntable? ) You make a lot of assumptions and pretty grandiose statements in that post. Of course, as we all here say..YOU ARE entitled to your opinion...just state it as that...not unsubstantiated facts..

Oh, and WELCOME to the community!

Seriously......to 2.gif ....... trink39.gif

You seem offended by my comments, but yet, you dont disagree with anything i've said.

If you want to interpret what I said as unsubstantiated fact, thats fine with me. If you want to interpret what I said as opinion, that's fine too. If you want to take things I said personally, that's your choice.

Some Rush albums may or may not sound better on CD, but I was under the impression that the original question was "what sounds better: vinyl or CD"? NOT "what sounds better: Rush vinyl or Rush CDs?"

Bottom line: No CD player will ever stand a chance against a decent turntable. Period.

QUOTE (SalavatinArmy @ May 12 2005, 07:25 PM)
Bottom line: No CD player will ever stand a chance against a decent turntable. Period.

I do NOT agree with that. I grew up with both vinyl and CD's. My father is a hi-fi afficionado who passed on some of his knowledge, so I can point out a few things.

My father had a BITCHIN' sound system, including an Onkyo turntable, and an Onkyo cassete deck, feeding a Pioneer amplifier. I can't remember what speakers he had, Pioneer or Denon maybe, but they had great response through all ranges. This system could shake the neighborhood, but he never played rock and roll, just new age jazz. He collected some really well mastered albums, most notably he had the first four Fresh Aire albums on vinyl. To give you an idea, Fresh Aire is often played when demoing sound systems because it has GREAT sound through all different frequencies. These were TOP QUALITY albums in recording and fabrication. Unfortunately, no matter how much he tried to keep the records clean while playing and safe while handling or storing, there was always the problem with crackling, popping, and an underlying hiss while listening to them. There was nothing you could do about it, it was a fundamental problem with the records, caused by dust, pits in the tracks, and microscopic scratches, and the best stylus in the best turntable in the world wouldn't get rid of it. Also, the more often you play the records, the more likely you will wear it out, because of the stylus carving into the track and changing the information on the record.

When he got his first CD player in 1985, a Sony if I remember correctly, he obtained the same albums on CD, listened to them and compared them. While some of the bass was not as warm, the sound was SO MUCH cleaner. No popping, no hiss, no crackling. Even though he still has all his old vinyls, he rarely ever listens to them and always buys new albums on CD. My father is a man who knows his sound, so I trust his judgment and my own regarding CD vs vinyl.

QUOTE (bytorcygnus @ May 10 2005, 07:52 PM)
I have all of the Studio releases, live albums and the Archives 3 record set plus Feedback on vinyl. The only one I am missing to be complete is Counterparts. I have several duplicates ( 3 - 2112 for example) I don't have Chronicles or Different Stages on vinyl...don't know if they are available..Anybody? I have several times bid on a vinyl copy of 'Rush Through Time'. But, as of yet, unsuccessfully. I would buy that one just for the awesome concert photo on the cover. As far as what some have said about quality...maybe it's nostalgia talking , but some of the vinyl does sound better, but not all. Crazy? Probably..But as someone in here said about Signals particularly..It does sound better, deeper, something..

And I also have a 8 track of 2112. Just for the heck of it. I remember 8 tracks...loved 'em. They beat the hell out of cassettes, that's for sure.I never had any luck with cassettes in the car..Texas heat maybe? 8 tracks were no problem, however! Thank god for CD's is all I can say.

653.gif

Now start hunting down import copies. I found a German import of 2112 at a used record store for $1.00! They are out there, you just have to keep your eyes open for used record stores. I MUST stop in and check every one I see even just to check the "R's" or ask them what used Rush albums they have.

QUOTE (SalavatinArmy @ May 13 2005, 11:34 AM)
Here's a thorough and technical study comparing the two formats.

Vinyl VS CD

The only thing this says is that 1: records can put out a little more signal than CDs and 2: there is a little less hiss on a record.

The problem with this argument is 1: the average human ear can't tell the difference. Even really good ears may only hear a difference less than 20% of anything they are listening to. 2: The record has to be brand new, perfectly fabricated and stamped from extremely clean master tapes. Like I said before, over time the record is going to wear out, because there is physical contact between the stylus and the record, whereas the only thing hitting the CD is light.

QUOTE (Drumnut @ May 13 2005, 11:41 AM)
QUOTE (bytorcygnus @ May 10 2005, 07:52 PM)
I have all of the Studio releases, live albums and the Archives 3 record set plus  Feedback on vinyl. The only one I am missing to be complete is Counterparts. I have several duplicates ( 3 - 2112 for example) I don't have Chronicles or Different Stages on vinyl...don't know if they are available..Anybody? I have several times bid on a vinyl copy of 'Rush Through Time'. But, as of yet, unsuccessfully. I would buy that one just for the awesome concert photo on the cover. As far as what some have said about quality...maybe it's nostalgia talking , but some of the vinyl does sound better, but not all. Crazy?  Probably..But as someone in here said about Signals particularly..It does sound better, deeper, something..

And I also have a 8 track of 2112. Just for the heck of it. I remember 8 tracks...loved 'em. They beat the hell out of cassettes, that's for sure.I never had any luck with cassettes in the car..Texas heat maybe? 8 tracks were no problem, however!  Thank god for CD's is all I can say.

653.gif

Now start hunting down import copies. I found a German import of 2112 at a used record store for $1.00! They are out there, you just have to keep your eyes open for used record stores. I MUST stop in and check every one I see even just to check the "R's" or ask them what used Rush albums they have.

Nice tip! THANKS..............

Archived