Time Machine setlist, and other sets over time...

32Ford

Hmmmm. Having seen them since the Power Windows tour I can agree with your progression and "phases". The PW tour was a big "New" material tour consisting of a lot of Signals, P/G and Power Windows. I think that one of the major changes happened once they started the "Evening with Rush". No opening band. Gone were the restrictions of having to cram a truckload of material into a 100 minute show.

I will FF to this tour as it's really my only disagreement with your post. As I have stated for some time, I am not a fan of 2 of the faves of a lot of Rush fans on Moving Pictures. One in fact I consider my ultimate bathroom song. I can see dropping Faithless, but I like BU2B a lot and Working them Angels also. While I understand the importance of playing MP in full, the 2 duds of mine kinda stifle my enthusiasm for it.

The flow of the first set that you have often questioned is dead on, but when you can, go back and look at their older setlists (let's say the phase 2 and forward sets). I think they have often struggled with setlist flow because each album and song are so different. It's hard (as I well know trying to lay out our set lists) to make it move in any sohesive way that won't have at least one "thud" in there that totally goes off the pace.

I am not going to get into the forthcoming p__sing contest but let's just say I am really looking forward to seeing what the NEXT set will look like.