Rush Blu-rays

Gixxerman001

I am loving the Blu-rays.

We seem to be getting a tandem Blu release with each new video now - I am so happy about this, the DTS HD MA lossless audio is simply wonderful.

Long may it continue.

They even managed to go back to R30 and release a Blu-ray of that one.

So, I was wondering, is it possible even older shows were filmed (and therefore easily encoded to a high def video release)?

Rush in Rio, perhaps?

RIR was not shot in HD, which sucks beyond anything remotely imaginable in my mind. Not to mention the audio is just horrible.

I honestly can't beleive the released it.

The whole thing is sad because quite frankly, its one of RUSH's greatest performances aver caught on film...

Until the Time Machine disk comes out...

QUOTE (briremo @ May 16 2011, 07:37 PM)
RIR was not shot in HD, which sucks beyond anything remotely imaginable in my mind. Not to mention the audio is just horrible.

The whole thing is sad because quite frankly, its one of RUSH's greatest performances aver caught on film...

they actually filmed most of it in HD. Unfortunately, some of the cams around peart's kit were not HD. Apparently, they couldn't use that footage unless they released it in standard definition.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ May 16 2011, 11:08 PM)
QUOTE (briremo @ May 16 2011, 07:37 PM)

they actually filmed most of it in HD. Unfortunately, some of the cams around peart's kit were not HD. Apparently, they couldn't use that footage unless they released it in standard definition.

Yep.

I made a bigass blabbermouth post about this in the Rush section a little while back. I was of the opinion that they should have abandoned those standard def remote cams in the editing room and just went with the footage from the HD cams. There was enough coverage from those to adequately tell the story, IMO.

The only way to make a Blu-ray of RIR is to re-edit the whole video, either by eliminating that remote cam footage or re-formatting it all (SD and HD mixed, like in the BTLS documentary). I doubt we'll see that happen.

OK, I'm going to stipulate that I may be wrong about the native resolution on the RIR but for some reason its the worst looking 480p I've ever seen.

And just to reiterate, the audio is effing horrible. WHy in the hell would anyone want 5.1 96/24 of that dreck? If they can work magic and fix it, fine. But I would have thought it would have been done on the original.