Catalog Numbers (looking for US atomic)

moving_signals

I'm hoping somebody here can help me figure out a good way to tell a US Atomic CD versus say a German Atomic. It looks to me like the catalog numbers are the same, and in some cases the disc will even look the same except for the printing of Made in USA or Made in West Germany on the disc.

Maybe even more difficult is that I see the same number used for US non Atomic, and US Atomic, how can this be distinguished?

Here are some examples of pressings that have the same catalog number (not my research, credit to Rush Collector Resources):

800 048-2, Mercury, US

800 048-2, Mercury, Brazil

800 048-2, Mercury, Argentina

800 048-2, Mercury, Germany, green disc - probably very early CD pressing

800 048-2, Mercury, Germany, standard red Mercury label

Thanks in advance.

EDIT ----

Maybe a more specific example of what I'm confused about would help. I have a few atomic CD's, they all say Made in USA on the disc. But would that really be a first US pressing? Or is it the first pressings done in Germany that have Made in W. Germany for Polygram that people consider first US pressings?

Edited by moving_signals

I don't know the answer, but I do understand what you are asking about.

Check out this site:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/index.php

Browse around there and post the questions, the folks on that site are all about those types of things. Dig deep enough and there is one thread that analyzes all the different Rush albums, their different pressings, sound quality, etc..

Thanks for the link and suggestion, greatly appreciate it. I'll check out the site and post the question there too.

I did find something that referred to a '01' needing to be at the end of the matrix portion, which I guess is on the stacking ring, but I can' be sure.

Anyway, thanks again for the reply, MCM.

West German Atomic CDs were the first released in the US because at the time there were not any CD pressing plants up and running in the US until 1987 at the earliest.

The US Atomics appeared when the pressing plants became operational in the US.

Hold Your Fire was the first Rush CD I bought on the release date that was made in the US and was not an Atomic.

Yep, that part was pretty clear to me from the Rush Collectors Resources page, but I was having a hard time understanding if the Atomics with "Made in the USA" where what people were referring to when talking about first US pressings, or the W. German pressings. The Forum MCM sent me to is a great source of info, and I've figured most things out just searching around old threads. Very good discussions around the various masterings over there.

QUOTE (moving_signals @ Apr 26 2011, 12:58 PM)
Yep, that part was pretty clear to me from the Rush Collectors Resources page, but I was having a hard time understanding if the Atomics with "Made in the USA" where what people were referring to when talking about first US pressings, or the W. German pressings. The Forum MCM sent me to is a great source of info, and I've figured most things out just searching around old threads. Very good discussions around the various masterings over there.

Yeah, the Hoffman forum is pretty sick.

VERY informative but it's hard for me keep up with constant activity over there.

QUOTE (ytserush @ May 13 2011, 09:36 PM)
QUOTE (moving_signals @ Apr 26 2011, 12:58 PM)
Yep, that part was pretty clear to me from the Rush Collectors Resources page, but I was having a hard time understanding if the Atomics with "Made in the USA" where what people were referring to when talking about first US pressings, or the W. German pressings.  The Forum MCM sent me to is a great source of info, and I've figured most things out just searching around old threads.  Very good discussions around the various masterings over there.

Yeah, the Hoffman forum is pretty sick.

VERY informative but it's hard for me keep up with constant activity over there.

I know what you mean, a lot going on over there. The discussion about the 5.1 Moving Pictures is very cool, but it's a huge thread. I'd like to get access to the marketplace part of the forum, but was told your post count has to be 30 before you can get to it. With so many existing threads that answer almost any question I can come up with, I don't think I'll ever reach 30 posts. And I'm not going to create lame threads just to get there.