HELP

Mr. Not

I just found out about this.. Hendrix, Emerson, Lake & Palmer...

Wow, it would have been outstanding:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerson,_Lake_%26_Palmer

Before settling on Carl Palmer, who at that time was a member of Atomic Rooster, they approached Mitch Mitchell of The Jimi Hendrix Experience. Emerson and Lake were uninterested in Mitchell, however, as he showed up for a 'jam' session with an arsenal of guns and unruly bodyguards. Hendrix, tired of his band and wanting to try something different, expressed an interest in playing with the group. Since Emerson and Lake had settled on Palmer by then, this led the British press to speculate about a supergroup called HELP, or "Hendrix, Emerson, Lake & Palmer".[2] Because of scheduling conflicts, such plans were not immediately realised, but the initial three planned a jam session with Hendrix after their second concert at the Isle of Wight Festival (their debut being in The Guildhall, Plymouth, on 23 August 1970, with the band "Earth" as support, which later became Black Sabbath), with the possibility of his joining. Hendrix died 26 days later, and the three pressed on as Emerson, Lake and Palmer.

Greg Lake made this comment on ELP's discussions with Hendrix:

"Yeah, that story is indeed true, to some degree...Mitch Mitchell had told Jimi about us and he said he wanted to explore the idea. Even after Mitch was long out of the picture and we had already settled on Carl, talk about working with Jimi continued. We were supposed to get together and jam with him around August or September of 1970, but he died before we could put it together."

Wow... sad.gif

Just imagine...

I've heard this story before, and there are supposedly recordings of jam sessions (which I'd kill to hear). I'd love to have seen what they could have come up with. But then again if this did take off, there would be no Tarkus or Trilogy or Brain Salad Surgery and so on.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Apr 17 2011, 05:46 PM)
I've heard this story before, and there are supposedly recordings of jam sessions (which I'd kill to hear). I'd love to have seen what they could have come up with. But then again if this did take off, there would be no Tarkus or Trilogy or Brain Salad Surgery and so on.

Never in my life have I so much desired an alternate reality.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Apr 17 2011, 08:46 PM)

What would my username be then! ohmy.gif

Archived