Time Signatures

Good,bad,andrush

what time signature is Driven? Does anybody know?

The only reasonable thing I can think of is 16/8.

Four sets of triplets (12 notes) followed by four more notes, each individual note having the exact same length as one part of the triplet.

Then the second part of the riff is two sets of triples followed by ten notes, all of equal length.

Also, what is LVS right after Alex's solo?

Edited to say forget the LVS one.

Just give me the Driven time Signature tongue.gif

Edited by Good,bad,andrush

I am a drummer so I can confidently say it is this:

Two measures of 4/4 followed by a 7/4...

Two measures of 4/4 followed by a 6/4

Keep repeating this cycle. There you go:)

Count it like this: one...two...three...four...one...two...three...four...one...two...three...four...five...six...sev

one...two...three...four...one...two...three...four...one...two...three...four....five....six

or just count 15 quarter notes followed by 14 quarter notes if that helps you hear it.

Edited by presto123

QUOTE (presto123 @ Mar 10 2011, 03:00 PM)
I am a drummer so I can confidently say it is this:

Two measures of 4/4 followed by a 7/4...
Two measures of 4/4 followed by a 6/4

Keep repeating this cycle. There you go:)

goodpost.gif

Yes, this is how I count it, too.

thanks guys, that seems correct.

I don't care for tabs; I can figure out the notes and I can play it.

It's just killing me that I don't know the time signature. But I guess I should've realized it was changing time signatures often.

The thing about time signatures is that, when you're covering something and it starts getting like Driven, it's best to just say, "its in whatever time signature makes sense to me."

As long you've got the rhythm worked out, and the pattern in your head actually matches the song, it works.

I'm a drummer, and when I sat down here to count out the intro, it came out:

6/8

6/8

4/4

6/8

4/4

4/4

But honestly, I've covered this song before and never thought of time signatures. I like to think of the melody instead, rather than the time itself. I feel like counting it out makes me play very robotically, where as just getting the melody in my head (humming it maybe even) will keep me on time, and will let me play more naturally.

QUOTE (New World Kid @ Mar 10 2011, 06:20 PM)
The thing about time signatures is that, when you're covering something and it starts getting like Driven, it's best to just say, "its in whatever time signature makes sense to me."

As long you've got the rhythm worked out, and the pattern in your head actually matches the song, it works.

6/8
6/8
4/4
6/8
4/4
4/4

But honestly, I've covered this song before and never thought of time signatures. I like to think of the melody instead, rather than the time itself. I feel like counting it out makes me play very robotically, where as just getting the melody in my head (humming it maybe even) will keep me on time, and will let me play more naturally.

It's fine if you have your own system but that is wrong. There are some bars of 7 in there. By the way 7/4 and 7/8 are basically counted the same way just depends on whether it's a quarter note or eighth note feel. I count 7/4: one...two...three...four...five....six...sev

and 7/8: 1 and 2 and 3 and 4.

By the way: I never count while I'm playing either. I prefer to feel when possible. But I like to understand odd times because it's part of the language of my instrument. No offense meant New World Kid.

Edited by presto123

QUOTE (presto123 @ Mar 10 2011, 05:49 PM)
QUOTE (New World Kid @ Mar 10 2011, 06:20 PM)

6/8
6/8
4/4
6/8
4/4
4/4

It's fine if you have your own system but that is wrong. There are some bars of 7 in there. By the way 7/4 and 7/8 are basically counted the same way just depends on whether it's a quarter note or eighth note feel. I count 7/4: one...two...three...four...five....six...sev

and 7/8: 1 and 2 and 3 and 4.

By the way: I never count while I'm playing either. I prefer to feel when possible. But I like to understand odd times because it's part of the language of my instrument. No offense meant New World Kid.

I only counted out the intro to it, like I said. Like the first 10 seconds. I'm reasonably confident my set up there can match the intro.

QUOTE (Jomboni @ Mar 10 2011, 02:47 PM) I think it's alternating between 2 measures of 4/4 and and then 1 measure in 7/8, assuming this is correct (it sounds right in my head)

CODE

� � � w � � �w � � � �s �e s �e s �e s �e s �s s �s � � �s �e

G------r-|----r-||-----9--r-11-r-9--r-11-r-9--r-9--r-|----9--r----

D---4:-e-|-7:-e-||*-4:-10-e-12-e-10-e-12-e-10-e-10-e-|-7:-10-e----

A---4:-s-|-8:-s-||*-4:----s----s----s----s----s----s-|-8:----s----

D------t-|----t-||--------t----t----t----t----t----t-|-------t----

� �s �e s �s s �s s �s s � � � s �e s �e s �e s �e s �s s �s

G---11-r-12-r-12-r-12-r-11-|----9--r-11-r-9--r-11-r-9--r-9--r-|---

D---12-e-13-e-13-e-13-e-12-|-4:-10-e-12-e-10-e-12-e-10-e-10-e-|---

A------s----s----s----s----|-4:----s----s----s----s----s----s-|---

D------t----t----t----t----|-------t----t----t----t----t----t-|---

too many edits! sorry

That tab is kinda confusing. Those "rests" really aren't necessary, and only make it harder to look at. Tabs are for those who just want to know what the notes are, and already know the rhythm.

Anyway, here's my take:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/1001001/guitar_tabs/driven_riff.jpg

EDIT: Presto123 basically had it the same way, but different.

I know this is VERY old but I was listening to Driven and could NOT figure out the Time Signature and this figure above works, especially when you put the accents on the up 16th notes (like 1st, 4th, 7th, 10th in the first measure). Gives it the "3/4" or 6/8 feel. Also I love near the end (around the 3:30 mark) when Geddy sings "It's my turn to drive..." and the time signature I believe is 3/4, but Neil accents the second beat giving us a hemiola in friggin' Rock music!

Edited by GUnderP68