"What a class act"

barney_rebel

Awesome video of 7 yr old brain cancer victim scoring TD at spring practice at Nebraska.

http://btn.com/2013/04/06/video-7-year-old-cancer-patient-runs-for-td/

:clap: :clap: :clap:

It was supposed to be a great weekend for Josh Shaw as he prepared for USC's season opener. It turned into something far more serious, though.

Shaw, a starting cornerback for the Trojans, was named one of team's six captains on Saturday afternoon. He was out celebrating with family members in his hometown of Palmdale, Calif., later that night when the senior leaped from a second floor balcony onto the concrete below to save his 7-year-old nephew from drowning in a pool, according to a school release. Shaw noticed his nephew was in distress and without help nearby before he made the leap, per the school release.

Shaw was taken to the hospital and suffered high ankle sprains on both legs, which will sideline him indefinitely, the school announced. His nephew was "traumatized," but OK after the incident, per the USC release.

"I would do it again for whatever kid it was, it did not have to be my nephew," Shaw said, according to the release. "My ankles really hurt, but I am lucky to be surrounded by the best trainers and doctors in the world. I am taking my rehab one day at a time, and I hope to be back on the field as soon as possible."

USC head coach Steve Sarkisian praised Shaw for his bravery.

"That was a heroic act by Josh, putting his personal safety aside. But that's the kind of person he is," Sarkisian said, per the release. "It is unfortunate that he'll be sidelined for a while and we will miss his leadership and play, but I know he'll be working hard to get back on the field as soon as possible."

Shaw is considered one of the top defensive backs in the country and was set to anchor the Trojans' secondary as a fifth-year senior. He started all 14 games last season and played both cornerback and free safety after transferring to the program from Florida in the spring of 2012. He played cornerback and strong safety in his first season with the Trojans.

Redshirt freshman Chris Hawkins and true freshman Adoree' Jackson are the top candidates to replace Shaw and take the spot opposite Kevon Seymour at cornerback.

We hate to see preseason injuries, but thankfully, Shaw's heroic actions didn't result in anything more serious than two high ankle sprains. With his nephew said to be doing OK, hopefully Shaw will fulfill the school's motto and fight on later this season.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000383591/article/usc-cb-josh-shaw-injured-while-rescuing-drowning-nephew?campaign=Facebook_cfb_fischer

:oops:

USC coach Steve Sarkisian said Tuesday that he's received several calls questioning the validity of cornerback Josh Shaw's story describing how he sustained two high ankle sprains over the weekend. The school is vetting the tale.

Shaw told USC's athletics web site that he injured himself jumping from a second-floor apartment balcony to the concrete below to rescue his seven-year-old nephew, who "cannot swim" and was in a pool "in distress without help nearby" on Saturday. Shaw said he rescued his nephew, who was traumatized by the experience.

Now, USC is investigating the authenticity of the story.

"I'm going to refrain from talking about the situation itself," Sarkisian said on Tuesday's Pac-12 coaches' teleconference. "I will say that Josh had never given us any indication not to believe his story. He's been a kid of very high character for us, a team leader, elected team captain. I had no reason not to believe him.

"Now, we did receive some calls that question the validity of his story. We're vetting. We're doing our due diligence on that as we speak."

A woman who identified herself as Shaw's older sister and the mother of the 7-year-old boy said the USC football player allegedly saved from drowning called reports that Shaw was actually injured during a burglary "speculation."

"I won't get involved in that," said the woman, who identified herself as Asia Shaw and spoke into front of Shaw's parents' home in Palmdale. "Those are all speculations."

She said she was not at the family event during which Shaw allegedly jumped from the when he saw his nephew, Carter, fall into the pool. The boy cannot swim, Asia Shaw said.

She said the child was in the care of another brother, Justin. Though she said she was not at the event, she offered details of what allegedly took place.

"The one who was supposed to be watching him turned away for a second," she said. "And Josh, who is on the balcony, and saw the incident and reacted."

She said the police were not called because there was no respiratory impairment.

Sarkisian said Josh Shaw has not changed his story since the questions emerged. According to Shaw, the incident occurred at a family social function at Shaw's cousin's apartment in his hometown of Palmdale, Calif.

Deputy Jason Ames of the Palmdale Sheriff Station said that there was no record of a call out regarding Shaw.

Officer Jane Kim, a spokesperson for the Los Angeles Police Department said the department is gathering information but had no statement as of Tuesday afternoon.

"Josh is adamant with what occurred, and we're going to continue to vet some of the stories that have come across our desk or our phones and see what we have and go from there," Sarkisian told local media earlier Tuesday.

Sarkisian said he and other athletic officials need more time to vet the situation. Shaw, a senior, was chosen a USC team captain on Saturday night.

"It's important to know your players," Sarkisian said. "Josh Shaw has been a good leader for us. he's given me no reason to not believe what he told us occurred. But you need to know."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/pac12/2014/08/26/steve-sarkisian-josh-shaw-usc-trojans-football-nephew-investigation/14632445/

Few will ever forget Devin Gardner’s act of sportsmanship following counterpart J.T. Barrett’s season-ending injury (broken right ankle) during last Saturday’s latest edition of “The Game.”

Not even Ohio State fans. That includes Dave Claborn, the Director of Development & Community Relations at The Ohio State University at Marion, who was inspired by Gardner’s class.

Clarborn sent Gardner the letter above (have to open link), which the Michigan quarterback posted to his Instagram account Wednesday.

Here’s what Gardner included in the message of his picture: “I really appreciate Dave Claborn & the OSU athletic department for this kind letter! Just saw it today and was very moved! #RivalryAsideForABriefMoment #TheGame #GoBlue”

If you didn’t see the moment, with Barrett down on the field, an air cast on his right leg, and about to be put on a cart to be taken into the Ohio State locker room,

Gardner came from the Michigan sideline to console the rival quarterback.

He got down on a knee, over Barrett, touched him on the face, and said a few words. What did he say? This, according to @EricSeger33.

Here’s a picture of the Gardner-Barrett moment.

B3z4pz7CAAAY4We.jpg

See more at: http://btn.com/2014/12/03/ohio-state-at-marion-employee-sends-devin-gardner-letter/#sthash.DoLn3iHR.dpuf

A personal one...

Back in my educator days, my swim team had a young man who was legally (and truthfully, nearly) blind. He was fairly athletic and would have probably developed into a decent swimmer had he started earlier in his life, but with a late start (he joined in high school), he was, at best, middle of the pack, in a very competitive program and district.

That said, being blind created a unique challenge in his knowing when to flip for the lap, but my coach and the local swim authorities devised a way to warn him that everyone in the league accepted. It was understood that he wasn't going to be winning any titles and any notion of an advantage to telling him when to turn was negated by the fact he was blind.

Anyway, fast forward to the district meet to determine who went on to regionals. A young man from the rival campus placed second in his preferred race and, after receiving his award, walked over to our blind swimmer and put his medal around our swimmer's (who had long been eliminated from the meet) neck. The young man said that our blind swimmer had inspired him all season and made him a better person and athlete. He also said he swam the district meet solely with the intention of winning a medal for our blind swimmer and, get this, apologized for not getting the first place medal because he thought our swimmer deserved it.

Edited by WorkingAllTheTime
  • Like 4

A personal one...

Back in my educator days, my swim team had a young man who was legally (and truthfully, nearly) blind. He was fairly athletic and would have probably developed into a decent swimmer had he started earlier in his life, but with a late start (he joined in high school), he was, at best, middle of the pack, in a very competitive program and district.

That said, being blind created a unique challenge in his knowing when to flip for the lap, but my coach and the local swim authorities devised a way to warn him that everyone in the league accepted. It was understood that he wasn't going to be winning any titles and any notion of an advantage to telling him when to turn was negated by the fact he was blind.

Anyway, fast forward to the district meet to determine who went on to regionals. A young man from the rival campus placed second in his preferred race and, after receiving his award, walked over to our blind swimmer and put his medal around our swimmer's (who had long been eliminated from the meet) neck. The young man said that our blind swimmer had inspired him all season and made him a better person and athlete. He also said he swam the district meet solely with the intention of winning a medal for our blind swimmer and, get this, apologized for not getting the first place medal because he thought our swimmer deserved it.

Great story.

:clap: :clap: :clap: