Hey Guys, beginning bassist

Good,bad,andrush

Been playing for a band for about a month now. A friend of mine wanted me on drums for his band, but his band broke up. And then another friend of mine who already plays drums wanted to be in a band (and this kid is insane on the drums), so I decided I would pick up the bass and the three of us would play together.

I've used to play drums, and I occasionally play guitar, and I played saxophone in band (although I'm not in band anymore). So I guess you could say I have a good musical background.

Anyway, I'm also learning the piano, because apparently I'm gonna be playing the bass, the keys, and singing, just like a certain someone we know. We're not using too much keyboards, and the melodies we are playing are simple for keyboards, so that's no problem.

To get to the point, I need to learn tips for bass and singing, because I'm just beginning with the bass. I have already learned YYZ, and we wrote our own jazzy/prog instrumental similar to Leave That Thing Alone, and I can play those no problem. But when it comes to singing and playing (we're covering The Outsider by A Perfect Circle and The Pass, as well as many others), I have trouble.

Tips?

Having Geddy as a main influence helps if want to build up skill and technique. Any Prog rock bassist really.

I reccomend sitting down and learning side one of Hemispheres. (and side two for that matter) it really helped with recognizing odd time signatures and rhythms; It helped me improvise in 7/8 and 9/8.

Scales, Modes and Keys are crucial if you want to improvise over a chord progression in a certain key. (Good for Jazz)

Hope it helps. smile.gif

I'll try Hemispheres.

I'm doing scales and the like already, but thanks anyway.

Are there any great jazz bassists you recommend?

Really though, my biggest problem is singing while playing complex rhythms. I guess if I become better at bass playing, the more natural it becomes and the better I'll be at doing both, right?

I can sing while playing basic 4/4 eighth notes or quarter notes...but come on, anybody can. I want to play rhythms in 7/8 or 9/8 while singing, just like my hero!

QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Dec 7 2010, 11:17 AM)
I'll try Hemispheres.
I'm doing scales and the like already, but thanks anyway.
Are there any great jazz bassists you recommend?

Really though, my biggest problem is singing while playing complex rhythms. I guess if I become better at bass playing, the more natural it becomes and the better I'll be at doing both, right?
I can sing while playing basic 4/4 eighth notes or quarter notes...but come on, anybody can. I want to play rhythms in 7/8 or 9/8 while singing, just like my hero!

Jaco Pastorius, Chuck Rainey and Anthony Jackson come to mind for influential Jazz bassists. They're on almost anything remotely jazzy from the 70's.

The vocal parts in the 7/8, 9/8 and 12/8 sections of Hemispheres follow the rhythm quite well; If I wasn't so deathly afraid at the prospect of me singing that high, I'd learn to sing and play that part at the same time. tongue.gif

I would say that if you want to improve quickly, find a teacher who is willing to teach you what you want to learn and above all, play with others. It will force you to keep on your game and to deliver with speed and precision (Even if you don't play a fender p-bass). Also, listen to as many different styles as you can. Surprisingly, I learned a lot of techniques from listening to a disco program that used to be on Saturday nights when I was a kid.