Columbus, Ohio Show

tmicom

I went to this show with my two sisters and one of their sons who I turned on to Rush some years ago (he's eleven or twelve).

We really enjoyed the show but we had lousy seats - section 6 on the floor. I had never had the opportunity to get floor seats before and I figured they'd be better than nosebleed seats in the stands which is usually the only seats I can find.

So, I get floor seats and it turns out we could only get a glimpse of the boys now and then between the heads of the people in the thirty rows in front of us. Most of the show was viewed on the monitors and it was very disappointing.

On top of all that, I had my cell phone camera but because the quality is questionable at best (especially in darkened rooms) I snuck my Sony Cybershot in and snapped a few with that but the goddamn batteries went dead after only five shots or so. I had checked the battery status before the show and it showed that they were still pretty good but it turns out that I had been looking at the memory card capacity. Doh!

In an effort not to draw too much attention to my camera, I had disabled the flash and used the nighttime setting on it and as a result, most of those shots are blurry. So, after the batteries went dead in it, I finished the show using the cell phone camera and most of those are blurry too because it's only a 3.1 megapixel. In addition, because we didn't have a clear view of the boys, the best feature of all my pics is the screen shots on the monitor. In the few shots where you can actually see the boys themselves, they appear only as indistinct shapes for the most part.

After all that though, I count myself fortunate to have even seen them because there was a good possibility I was going to miss it. This after already having to miss Rushcon and the Toronto show after I had registered and got my tickets for the show.

Our company got hit with a bunch of visa problems for the guys working in Brazil and it wasn't certain my relief would get his visa back in time to relieve me on the 25th.

The plan was for me to crew change on the 25th, fly out and be home on the 26th and leave the next day for Columbus with my two sisters. We were going to do some sightseeing and whatnot on Saturday and Sunday before the show.

As it turned out, my relief didn't get his visa back in time (he's still waiting on it as we speak) so Dianna, our crew change coordinator, knowing of my plans, sympathized with my plight and sent another captain down so I could get there for the show. I didn't get off the boat until Friday so my two sisters had to leave without me and Dianna just booked my flights from Sao Paulo directly to Columbus instead of to New Orleans and my sisters picked me up at the airport there on Saturday.

We still got to do some sightseeing but I was so wasted from the trip (going and coming is about a full twenty fours hours of flying and driving) I was dragging myself around and was barely lucid.

All in all, we had a good time though.

QUOTE (softfilter @ Aug 31 2010, 01:20 AM)
Didn't get a chance to go down there sad.gif
Hopefully next summer? Blossom music center will be on the Clockwork Angels tour itinerary. yes.gif

I hope so. If they do, I'm trying to get much closer.

QUOTE (Ghost of a Rider @ Sep 1 2010, 02:20 PM)
I went to this show with my two sisters and one of their sons who I turned on to Rush some years ago (he's eleven or twelve).

We really enjoyed the show but we had lousy seats - section 6 on the floor. I had never had the opportunity to get floor seats before and I figured they'd be better than nosebleed seats in the stands which is usually the only seats I can find.
So, I get floor seats and it turns out we could only get a glimpse of the boys now and then between the heads of the people in the thirty rows in front of us. Most of the show was viewed on the monitors and it was very disappointing.

On top of all that, I had my cell phone camera but because the quality is questionable at best (especially in darkened rooms) I snuck my Sony Cybershot in and snapped a few with that but the goddamn batteries went dead after only five shots or so. I had checked the battery status before the show and it showed that they were still pretty good but it turns out that I had been looking at the memory card capacity. Doh!

In an effort not to draw too much attention to my camera, I had disabled the flash and used the nighttime setting on it and as a result, most of those shots are blurry. So, after the batteries went dead in it, I finished the show using the cell phone camera and most of those are blurry too because it's only a 3.1 megapixel. In addition, because we didn't have a clear view of the boys, the best feature of all my pics is the screen shots on the monitor. In the few shots where you can actually see the boys themselves, they appear only as indistinct shapes for the most part.

After all that though, I count myself fortunate to have even seen them because there was a good possibility I was going to miss it. This after already having to miss Rushcon and the Toronto show after I had registered and got my tickets for the show.

Our company got hit with a bunch of visa problems for the guys working in Brazil and it wasn't certain my relief would get his visa back in time to relieve me on the 25th.
The plan was for me to crew change on the 25th, fly out and be home on the 26th and leave the next day for Columbus with my two sisters. We were going to do some sightseeing and whatnot on Saturday and Sunday before the show.
As it turned out, my relief didn't get his visa back in time (he's still waiting on it as we speak) so Dianna, our crew change coordinator, knowing of my plans, sympathized with my plight and sent another captain down so I could get there for the show. I didn't get off the boat until Friday so my two sisters had to leave without me and Dianna just booked my flights from Sao Paulo directly to Columbus instead of to New Orleans and my sisters picked me up at the airport there on Saturday.
We still got to do some sightseeing but I was so wasted from the trip (going and coming is about a full twenty fours hours of flying and driving) I was dragging myself around and was barely lucid.

son of a bitch..now I REALLY feel stupid for missing this show. HELL I live like 2 hours from Columbus!

crap...

I hope there's gonna be a next time man! Please lemme know!

QUOTE (BeOhBe Bob @ Sep 1 2010, 08:47 PM)
QUOTE (Ghost of a Rider @ Sep 1 2010, 02:20 PM)

son of a bitch..now I REALLY feel stupid for missing this show. HELL I live like 2 hours from Columbus!

crap...

I hope there's gonna be a next time man! Please lemme know!

The only reason we went to such lengths to see a show is because all the other dates were scheduled for when I was due to be at work. In fact, even the Brazil shows are scheduled for when I'm at work so we'll actually be in Brazil at the same time!

Anyway, of the few shows scheduled for when I was off work, Columbus was the only viable option that gave me a reasonable time buffer to allow for a potential late crew change (most of our crew changes are at least a day late), time to get a day of rest and travel to the city venue.

We usually try to go to Houston (three and a half hours away) but because of these time conflicts I had to go all the way to Atlanta for Vapor Trails and to St.Louis for the first leg of Snakes and Arrows.

This was my first Rush show and my hubby's 2nd [he saw them on the SIGNALS tour when they hit Charleston, WV]. I couldn't think of anything to get him for his birthday and anniversary presents---well, what better than Rush?

We were in Section 111 [lower bowl] and had decent seats, I had to do a bit of dancing and standing on things to see over some people who were in my line of sight [i'm only 4'10"] but thankfully the video screens were a big help.

Excellent show and we're making plans to catch 'em again on the next tour!