Camera suggestion?

OldRod

After taking ~150 pics at the Kansas City show and only having about 10-12 that actually came out worth a damn...

I'm looking for suggestions for a cheapie camera that I can use at the Tulsa show next month. I had an Olympus FE330 point and shoot camera that takes decent pictures usually, but just not having luck at Rush shows with it.

Anyone got a camera they'd recommend for under $200 or so, that I won't get in trouble taking to a show? (ie. it's not a "professional" camera?) smile.gif

QUOTE (OldRod @ Aug 16 2010, 03:04 PM)
After taking ~150 pics at the Kansas City show and only having about 10-12 that actually came out worth a damn...

I'm looking for suggestions for a cheapie camera that I can use at the Tulsa show next month. I had an Olympus FE330 point and shoot camera that takes decent pictures usually, but just not having luck at Rush shows with it.

Anyone got a camera they'd recommend for under $200 or so, that I won't get in trouble taking to a show? (ie. it's not a "professional" camera?) smile.gif

Just go to Best Buy and get a nice point and shoot digitial. Ask for one that you can adjust manually (as in turn off the flash if your seats are close) and use it for the show.

After the show, download all your pics, save the memory card or erase it and then return the camera for your money back. smile.gif

QUOTE (Mr. Krinkle @ Aug 16 2010, 04:27 PM)
QUOTE (OldRod @ Aug 16 2010, 03:04 PM)

I'm looking for suggestions for a cheapie camera that I can use at the Tulsa show next month.  I had an Olympus FE330 point and shoot camera that takes decent pictures usually, but just not having luck at Rush shows with it.

Anyone got a camera they'd recommend for under $200 or so, that I won't get in trouble taking to a show?  (ie. it's not a "professional" camera?)  smile.gif

Just go to Best Buy and get a nice point and shoot digitial. Ask for one that you can adjust manually (as in turn off the flash if your seats are close) and use it for the show.

After the show, download all your pics, save the memory card or erase it and then return the camera for your money back. smile.gif

http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/45.gif

dude...

*shakes head in shame*

i work the service desk at Walmart and we so don't like people who do things like this...

Anywho, OldRod - the suggestion about the camera choice MrKrinkle made is valid - if you can get a P&S camera, preferably a Canon or a Nikon, that will shoot in Manual mode. You can get this one:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Canon-PowerShot-...Bundle/13341389 - its a package deal for just under $200 smile.gif

QUOTE (OldRod @ Aug 17 2010, 08:50 AM)
Thanks LakesideMaiden. Someone else suggested the Powershot in a PM - I will look into that!

You're welcome smile.gif That particular model shoots in manual mode, which will allow you to shoot without a flash.

QUOTE (drgrendel @ Aug 17 2010, 09:03 PM)
One question: Would I need flash from the 10th and 13th row?

I wouldn't use the flash, it'd be annoying/distracting for the band. The stage lights will be enough for good shots.

QUOTE (drgrendel @ Aug 17 2010, 09:15 PM)
Thanks! I once read that Neil had a roadie take a camera away from a fan who kept flahing away. that is what i am trying to avoid.

Thanks again!

2.gif

A flash will only illuminate the heads of the people in front of you, and REALLY annoy the band - and give you away to security as a picture taker wink.gif your best bet is (if your camera has manual settings) to shoot at:

ISO 200 (max ISO 400)

Aperture of around f2.8 - f4.0 - the lowest possible number the better, as this lets in more light and allows for a faster Shutter Speed.

Shutter Speed: the higher the number the darker the photo, but the lower the number the more chance of blur you will get.

I recommend starting around 1/70 from that row, and adjust up or down accordingly. If the picture comes out really bright at 1/70, then you can probably bring it down to 1/100 or even 1/150 - if that's the case, I'm very excited for my pictures in Boston LOL.

If 1/70 is still somewhat dark, you'll need to up it to 1/50 or even higher, but I don't recommend going any higher than 1/30, unless you have ROCK steady hands, or you'll get a lot of motion blur in your shots and they'll come out looking crappy.

I messed around with my flash during intermission at the KC show. It actually made pictures of the stage worse by being darker - the flash only goes a short distance and everything beyond is actually darker than before.

And that was from the 9th row.

Plus, don't want to piss the guys off smile.gif

QUOTE (drgrendel @ Aug 18 2010, 05:17 PM)
Lakeside and Old,

Thanks for the tips. Ordering the Canon Powershot today.

2.gif

you're very welcome! smile.gif