Empty Nest Moms

Lerxst

My wife & I will be sending our only child off to college in a couple months and we are already sad about it. When it actually happens it will be even worse.

How can I help my wife cope with this?

Hi, not a mom but a single dad who deals with the kids going away every summer.Suck abit but remember the kid will be back if a few months for breaks .Enjoy the time you two will have alone. bet it has been awhile ?Going through the stuff right now, last for a few days but goes by fast. Sucks yes, kills me , not yet. smile.gif

just get out and do things together. i left my parents to join the military, and my mom and sister was very sad, but my dad stood proud. i didnt end up making it because of medical problems, but the best thing to do is just to go out and do things. this is coming from a son who put all eggs in one basket just to make is parents proud.

I am a mom, and I absolutely adore my only son, Alex! He's 10 years old and my world!

That being said, I was still pretty young when I had him (21) and never got a chance to get out and experience life without a baby in tow! While I love my child more than life its self, I plan on totally enjoying life once he goes off to college. I have been saving for him so he can afford to go.

I realized that this summer, when I get to go to Vegas to see Rush (I'll be gone that whole weekend!) this will be the FIRST TIME that I have gone ANYWHERE by myself since he was born! Crazy! Children are wonderful, and mine is top-notch, but I have to live my own life sometimes!

So, I would say, get out and enjoy life! When was the last time you and your wife went somewhere without the kid? Have a romantic get-away, plan for that vacation that you two have dreamed of for years! Life is short, and your kid is going to be out enjoying themselves without you guys looking over their shoulder! You should do the same!!

cool.gif

QUOTE (Lerxst @ Jun 19 2010, 09:36 AM)
My wife & I will be sending our only child off to college in a couple months and we are already sad about it. When it actually happens it will be even worse.

take her to as many rush shows as you can for the rest of this tour!!!

QUOTE (hughes&kettner @ Aug 1 2010, 05:01 PM)
QUOTE (Lerxst @ Jun 19 2010, 09:36 AM)
My wife & I will be sending our only child off to college in a couple months and we are already sad about it.  When it actually happens it will be even worse.

take her to as many rush shows as you can for the rest of this tour!!!

Actually we are going to see Rush on Aug. 25.

QUOTE (Lerxst @ Jun 19 2010, 10:36 AM)

Rejoice in the fact you raised a good kid and be happy knowing he is moving in the right direction. Think about how awful it would be to have a kid with no drive or ambition wanting to cling to his parents forever. It happens.

You will be sad, but knowing his is formulating a future should give you solace and a comfort. Its better then the alternative. Whenever your bummed out, keep that in perspective, and it may help you out a bit.

QUOTE (tick @ Aug 7 2010, 08:30 AM)
QUOTE (Lerxst @ Jun 19 2010, 10:36 AM)
My wife & I will be sending our only child off to college in a couple months and we are already sad about it.  When it actually happens it will be even worse.

Rejoice in the fact you raised a good kid and be happy knowing he is moving in the right direction. Think about how awful it would be to have a kid with no drive or ambition wanting to cling to his parents forever. It happens.

You will be sad, but knowing his is formulating a future should give you solace and a comfort. Its better then the alternative. Whenever your bummed out, keep that in perspective, and it may help you out a bit.

Thanks very much for the thoughtful response.