Kick-Ass

udanax

My friend, who has been gushing about the movie Kick-Ass since she got to see a private screening before the movie was released, took me to see it last Thursday. For me it was a very tongue in cheek action comedy. There were some parts that were quite brilliant, and parts that just felt like they were in bad taste or just plain boring. I do think the idea behind the movie was pretty funny though. I read the first graphic novel, which for the most part I liked, but I really don't know think this movie quite lived up to the hype. So, what do you all think?

I think when I sat with my 14 year old to look at the trailer on YouTube that in the first 5 seconds I heard two or three F-bombs and a smattering of other unsavory words.

Mind you...i have the mouth of sailor myself sometimes, so no issue for me. But I also heard the girl says some really crass stuff and she's supposed to be 11 years old in the movie.

Perhaps I'm missing the point, but I agree, the concept could have been something great. I dismissed it outright after watching that bit of the trailer.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 19 2010, 08:55 AM)
Well it's a movie FOR adults...(or at least older youth). If it was otherwise it wouldn't carry an R-rating.

That is true, but bad taste is still bad taste, no matter what the rating is...

One thing I did not enjoy in the movie is how the story of Hit-Girl and Big Daddy overshadows the main story of Kick-Ass in the movie...

The comic doesn't do that

SPOILERS***

Also, in the comic you find out later on that Big Daddy wasn't actually a cop whose wife died, he's really just a huge fanboy like Kick-Ass, who made the whole story up so he could live out his messed up dream, messing up his daughter's childhood in the process. At least the comic book doesn't try to make him look like such a hero when he dies. Kick-Ass is acknowledged in the comic book for never acting like something he is not, despite the fact that he's still trying to do good in the world. Big Daddy dies in the comic because he goes to great lengths to live out the lie with his daughter. It's Kick-Ass's acknowledgement that he is still merely human that makes him the true hero of the story in the comic.

I feel like there is more of a moral in that explanation... The movie was just kind of like... "What? So living out a comic book lie and trying to take down the mob as a dressed up vigilante is ok then?"

In fact, in this sense, the comic sort of picks on other super heros, like Batman, showing the reality of what could happen if you could come as realistically close to being a super hero as possible.

It is a movie though...

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 19 2010, 02:41 PM)
I think if Tarantino had made this film I'd be MORE interested in seeing it.

laugh.gif That's true... It actually is kind of Tarantino-ish though now that I think about it, at least as far as fighting style goes...

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 19 2010, 03:41 PM)

goodpost.gif

At least you would know what you were getting with QT.

I have no intention of seeing this movie. I've heard nothing but bad reviews of it.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Apr 20 2010, 12:56 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 19 2010, 03:41 PM)

goodpost.gif

At least you would know what you were getting with QT.

I have no intention of seeing this movie. I've heard nothing but bad reviews of it.

Yeah, I would say that waiting to rent it is probably a good choice.....

Again, I'm not the biggest fan, it's just the only movie I've seen in awhile, and I did read the comic

QUOTE (udanax @ Apr 18 2010, 11:21 PM)
My friend, who has been gushing about the movie Kick-Ass since she got to see a private screening before the movie was released, took me to see it last Thursday. For me it was a very tongue in cheek action comedy. There were some parts that were quite brilliant, and parts that just felt like they were in bad taste or just plain boring. I do think the idea behind the movie was pretty funny though. I read the first graphic novel, which for the most part I liked, but I really don't know think this movie quite lived up to the hype. So, what do you all think?

That's probably why it finished at #2 behind that Dragon movie.

I haven't seen either one of them yet, but I want to.

QUOTE (Boots @ Apr 22 2010, 01:16 PM)
QUOTE (udanax @ Apr 18 2010, 11:21 PM)

That's probably why it finished at #2 behind that Dragon movie.

I haven't seen either one of them yet, but I want to.

Actually, whoever does the box office numbers messed up. Kick-Ass edged out a victory (just barely) over that dragon cartoon with 19.8million over dragons 19.6m