Merlin

rushgoober

I don't know if this show is native to SyFy or if it originated in the UK, but SyFy has been showing it. They just started season 2.

Basically, Merlin is the King Arthur story re-done - the characters are the same, or similar, but it's very different than the traditional story in many ways.

It's not the best show in the universe, but we've been really enjoying this at home. It's Merlin and Arthur and Guinnevere and Morgana, etc. as young people (late teens, early 20's), and it's a really well done show. They had a marathon the other day and we recorded them and have been steadily going through them.

Anyone else catch this? Definitely recommended...

Both me and m,y two children are big fans of Merlin and have been since it began. In fact, I bought the first season on DVD today and we're watching the first episode as I type.

One other thing - Katie McGrath wub.gif drool1.gif drool1.gif

Another good reinterpretation of a classic legend - this time one that is very close to my heart. Sadly, in the UK, a lot of people have been very down on the current crop of Saturday evening genre shows - Merlin, Robin Hood and Primeval. The general consensus seems to be that a Saturday evening programme that ISN'T Dr Who has got to be crap.

I'm glad Merlin is making at least a little splash on both sides of the Atlantic. If you had told me there would be a TV series that was somewhat of a re-imagining of the King Arthur legend, I would have been very skeptical, but I've been pleasantly surprised by this show.

One thing of note - there's a lot of regally goofy music on the very 1st episode. I can only imagine that was because it was the pilot episode and they wisely toned the corniness factor of the music way down. So if you see the 1st episode and that element is a turnoff, fear not, it's gone by episode 2!

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 5 2010, 04:07 PM)
I don't know if this show is native to SyFy or if it originated in the UK, but SyFy has been showing it. They just started season 2.

Basically, Merlin is the King Arthur story re-done - the characters are the same, or similar, but it's very different than the traditional story in many ways.

It's not the best show in the universe, but we've been really enjoying this at home. It's Merlin and Arthur and Guinnevere and Morgana, etc. as young people (late teens, early 20's), and it's a really well done show. They had a marathon the other day and we recorded them and have been steadily going through them.

Anyone else catch this? Definitely recommended...

It's funny you should start this thread Goobs as that's the exact image I have of you: Rushgoober, an old Merlin figure, with his last strands of grey hair blowing in the breeze, while his old wizardly face crinkles up with joy as he listens to his old prog music about old wizards and watches Harry Potter...

laugh.gif

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Apr 24 2010, 04:36 PM)
Well, Primeval was crap, but then again it was billed as ITV's answer to Doctor Who, which probably wasn't the best move. And new Who isn't looking as peachy as I thought it would under Steven Moffatt's watch! But generally everything the Beeb has done on a Saturday night since 2005 has been great.

Actually, I'm going to have to totally disagree with you here.

I'm a massive fan of Primeval and have not been greatly impressed with new Who under RTD's control (too many infantile jokes). However, the two episodes I've seen since Moffat took over have impressed me greatly. I've not seen this week's episode yet - my children, who stop with me at the weekend, have a complete and utter phobia about Dr Who (with my son, it results from being terrorised by a dalek at Collectormania when he was about three years old) so I have to wait until the Sunday night repeat to watch it.

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Apr 24 2010, 07:24 PM)
QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Apr 24 2010, 04:36 PM)
Well, Primeval was crap, but then again it was billed as ITV's answer to Doctor Who, which probably wasn't the best move. And new Who isn't looking as peachy as I thought it would under Steven Moffatt's watch! But generally everything the Beeb has done on a Saturday night since 2005 has been great.

Actually, I'm going to have to totally disagree with you here.

I'm a massive fan of Primeval and have not been greatly impressed with new Who under RTD's control (too many infantile jokes). However, the two episodes I've seen since Moffat took over have impressed me greatly. I've not seen this week's episode yet - my children, who stop with me at the weekend, have a complete and utter phobia about Dr Who (with my son, it results from being terrorised by a dalek at Collectormania when he was about three years old) so I have to wait until the Sunday night repeat to watch it.

I had very high expectations of the Moffatt series, so it's still above the RTD-era in my eyes, but the pacing in the episodes seems far too rushed. They need to go with hour long episodes, which is funny seeing as The Eleventh Hour was paced beautifully. Todays was ridiculously good though. It's been consistently good though, rather than peaking and troughing like RTD and I'm still waiting for moments of brilliance that the Tennant-era always had.