Alex's distortion

Bump!

Anyone have any idea why Alex stopped using the Hiwatts? I can think of several reasons why anyone would want to switch things up after a while, but I'm just curious if there was anything specific he was never happy about with them. Thanks!

He is what you call a "seeker". Always searching for tone, experimenting, etc....Why did he switch from Gibson to Fender and back to Gibson? Why go from Marshall to Hiwatt back to Marshall, to Dean Markley, back to Marshalls, then to H&K?

Plenty of money, infinite toys at your disposal, and lots of down time...

As for distortions, pretty much what has been said.

If you are "modeling" i suggest:

Early Rush - Cranked gain on early Marshall w 4x12 cab, no stomp needed.

Hemi peroid - Med/High gain on Hiwatt 4x12 cab, no stomp needed.

PW/MP - Mid gain (MV or JCM) Marshall with MXR Distortion+

GUP to HYF - Jazz or Blues Combo pretty clean with Boss OD-1.

Current Rush - TriAmp set to Lead Channel mostly, vary gain as needed.

Or you can bid on this little guy for $1 with Lifeson tones already installed...ha :)

"http://cgi.ebay.com/Digitech-RP250-Guitar-Modeling-Processor-RP-250-NR_W0QQitemZ280303994637QQihZ018QQcategoryZ41419QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem]http://cgi.ebay.com/Digitech-RP250-Guitar-...1QQcmdZViewItem"

OK sorry, shameless ebay plug....This was my bedroom unit, but just scored a 500 recently....use the boss gt10 out of the house.

JD

Edited by jdouglas

QUOTE (jdouglas @ Jan 22 2009, 01:42 AM)
He is what you call a "seeker".  Always searching for tone, experimenting, etc....Why did he switch from Gibson to Fender and back to Gibson?  Why go from Marshall to Hiwatt back to Marshall, to Dean Markley, back to Marshalls, then to H&K? 

Plenty of money, infinite toys at your disposal, and lots of down time...

As for distortions, pretty much what has been said. 
If you are "modeling" i suggest:

Early Rush - Cranked gain on early Marshall w 4x12 cab, no stomp needed.
Hemi peroid - Med/High gain on Hiwatt 4x12 cab, no stomp needed.
PW/MP - Mid gain (MV or JCM) Marshall with MXR Distortion+
GUP to HYF - Jazz or Blues Combo pretty clean with Boss OD-1.
Current Rush - TriAmp set to Lead Channel mostly, vary gain as needed.

Or you can bid on this little guy for $1 with Lifeson tones already installed...ha smile.gif

"http://cgi.ebay.com/Digitech-RP250-Guitar-Modeling-Processor-RP-250-NR_W0QQitemZ280303994637QQihZ018QQcategoryZ41419QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem]http://cgi.ebay.com/Digitech-RP250-Guitar-...1QQcmdZViewItem"

OK sorry, shameless ebay plug....This was my bedroom unit, but just scored a 500 recently....use the boss gt10 out of the house.

JD

I see what you're saying, but I'm wondering if that's more the sign of someone who could never find what he was looking for? So if that's the case, what is not quite right about the Hiwatts in his view? He switched things up a lot in the 70s when Rush were still very far in debt and didn't have oodles of cash at his disposal, but he still insisted on switching things. He probably has more money now than he's ever had, but he's stuck to H&K, and just went back to Gibsons. I think he couldn't find what he was looking for in the past.

I guess I'll just have to leave it to the hope of one day meeting him and being able to talk gear-talk with him tongue.gif

Thanks for the response though. trink39.gif

Edited by Deadwing

My guess is that the Hiwatt (which is a bright amp) worked very well with the Gibson 355, but when he switched to fender (which are brighter guitars then Gibson) it was too bright and he need a heavier sounding amp....sorta chicken and the egg really.

He probably started playing Hiwatts due to Pete Townsend, then became more heavily influenced by Allan Holdsworth at the time and started playing his strats more...and hey, guess what Holdsworth is using now? Yup, the Hughes and Kettner TriAmp MKII and the ZenTera. Chicken or the egg?

Why do I own 7 guitars, 3 amps, 3 effects units..why swap pickups out of a perfectly good guitar three times in a year?...guitar players are crazier than pro golfers when it comes it equipment. Sometimes you loose that nice crunchy tone and you over tweak your settings...then you give up and try a new axe / setup to get your crunchy goodness back.....

wacko.gif confused13.gif wacko.gif confused13.gif wacko.gif

Edited by jdouglas

QUOTE (jdouglas @ Jan 22 2009, 09:35 PM)

Why do I own 7 guitars, 3 amps, 3 effects units..why swap pickups out of a perfectly good guitar three times in a year?...guitar players are crazier than pro golfers when it comes it equipment. Sometimes you loose that nice crunchy tone and you over tweak your settings...then you give up and try a new axe / setup to get your crunchy goodness back.....

wacko.gif confused13.gif wacko.gif confused13.gif wacko.gif

ohmy.gif applaudit.gif ...true confessions ... I hear ya loud and clear!

I'm always fiddling, buying more stuff, swapping parts and driving myself crazy. wacko.gif

trink39.gif

I used to be that way too. And I'm not in any way comparing myself here to any of the masters, but I've a feeling that guys like Eddie and Randy and Gilmore and yes our boy Lerxst could pick up the lamest POS Sears guitar and make it sing regardless of equipment.

Not that we aren't all searching for the perfect tone... trink39.gif

QUOTE (hunter @ Jan 23 2009, 11:52 AM)
I used to be that way too. And I'm not in any way comparing myself here to any of the masters, but I've a feeling that guys like Eddie and Randy and Gilmore and yes our boy Lerxst could pick up the lamest POS Sears guitar and make it sing regardless of equipment.

Good tone...does it come from gear or your fingers? Some swear by their gear, while others think good tone comes mostly from your fingers. I think if you have the fingers working good, then quality gear will make you sound better. And if your fingers have it, then you can still sound like YOU on crappy gear -- maybe not as good, but still you. If your fingers don't have it, the best gear in the world won't save you.

Here's Joe Satriani playing on some kid's crappy Strat copy and amp. Still sounds like Joe.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jan 23 2009, 12:37 PM)
QUOTE (hunter @ Jan 23 2009, 11:52 AM)

Good tone...does it come from gear or your fingers? Some swear by their gear, while others think good tone comes mostly from your fingers. I think if you have the fingers working good, then quality gear will make you sound better. And if your fingers have it, then you can still sound like YOU on crappy gear -- maybe not as good, but still you. If your fingers don't have it, the best gear in the world won't save you.

Here's Joe Satriani playing on some kid's crappy Strat copy and amp. Still sounds like Joe.

Exactly my point. Crappy gear but he still makes it sing. It's the artist not the tools. Granted all things being equal I love my Carvin and not so much my first crappy guitar. laugh.gif

The thread is not called "alex's fingers". It is a gear discussion thread.

wacko.gif

Who was taking about crappy gear anyway. The questions was why Alex switched from one $5k amp to another $5K amp.

The closest he came to playing crappy gear was the Signature guitar ($2K) through his Dean Markley Combo ($2K)...and we can all probably agree that was not his best tonal period.

Edited by jdouglas

QUOTE (jdouglas @ Jan 24 2009, 12:16 PM)
The thread is not called "alex's fingers". It is a gear discussion thread.

wacko.gif

Who was taking about crappy gear anyway. The questions was why Alex switched from one $5k amp to another $5K amp.

The closest he came to playing crappy gear was the Signature guitar ($2K) through his Dean Markley Combo ($2K)...and we can all probably agree that was not his best tonal period.

Yeah, this thread is about amps and distortion, but it took a little detour. It happens. No harm done, right?

i think the tonebone plexitube pedal is a pretty useful tool to get near alexs distortion sound, at least from their debut album up till MP. it does not sound so good through a SS amp though, tried it once, plugged it right back into the tube amp.

The simple answer to this question is tubes. The basis of all of his distorted tones (and Geds before the direct boxes) is a well maintained tube amp. He did use some fuzz in the early days and the D+ in the 80s.

im listening to your Chemistry cover on your soundclick site, i assume your using your marshall 4140 there? sounds damn good mike!

QUOTE (mortkort @ Jan 24 2009, 02:46 PM)
i think the tonebone plexitube pedal is a pretty useful tool to get near alexs distortion sound, at least from their debut album up till MP. it does not sound so good through a SS amp though, tried it once, plugged it right back into the tube amp.

The simple answer to this question is tubes. The basis of all of his distorted tones (and Geds before the direct boxes) is a well maintained tube amp. He did use some fuzz in the early days and the D+ in the 80s.

im listening to your Chemistry cover on your soundclick site, i assume your using your marshall 4140 there? sounds damn good mike!

Thanks! Yup, that's a 4140 and a Peavey Classic 30 running through a 2x12 cabinet. My other 4140 has been dead for almost a year now and I haven't had the cash to get it fixed. In that clip, the 4140 is wet and the PV is dry.