USB Microphones

rushringleader

I was wondering who here has experience with USB Microphones. I have sort of narrowed it down to the Samson CO1U and the Blue Snowball. If you have any other suggestions, I am open to them. I am looking to use it for all sorts of recording: Spoken Voice, Singing, Instruments, and Skyping for a lack of better words.

Given the choice of Samson vs. Blue I would have to say to go with Blue. Blue makes excellent products. Samson can be more hit or miss. I am not a fan of USB mics myself but can see the benefits. It would also depend upon the application (use, not software). The Snowball has a choice of omni and cardioid patterns.

Shure makes a few as well, but for a little more money. So does MXL and their 990 is a nice mic for the price. The USB version is a little cheaper than the Blue, plus it's a stereo mic. I have 3 standard 990's myself.

Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2

The MXL 990 is a surprisingly decent mic for what it is. There was an article on them in Tape Op magazine that was favorable after I had purchased the MXL 2001's as an impulse buy. I had used the 2001's as overheads on a project and they sounded good enough. The thing about the 990's is the design of the circuit, which is based on an older Scheops circuit. That circuit coupled with the medium sized diaphragm (not large as it claims) makes the 990 particularly good for what it is. I have used mine as overheads and as tom mics. I used them on some field recordings of weaponry and bullet/projectile impacts. They are cheap so they're a good mic not to worry too much about. There is a guy online who can do a modification on the mic for around $150 that will make it sound even better by replacing the existing electronic components with high quality parts, adjusting the diaphragm housing for optimal performance and replacing the windscreen.

I think the price point on the 990s stock is around $70. A bargain for what it does.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Feb 5 2010, 04:56 PM)
The MXL 990 is a surprisingly decent mic for what it is. There was an article on them in Tape Op magazine that was favorable after I had purchased the MXL 2001's as an impulse buy. I had used the 2001's as overheads on a project and they sounded good enough. The thing about the 990's is the design of the circuit, which is based on an older Scheops circuit. That circuit coupled with the medium sized diaphragm (not large as it claims) makes the 990 particularly good for what it is. I have used mine as overheads and as tom mics. I used them on some field recordings of weaponry and bullet/projectile impacts. They are cheap so they're a good mic not to worry too much about. There is a guy online who can do a modification on the mic for around $150 that will make it sound even better by replacing the existing electronic components with high quality parts, adjusting the diaphragm housing for optimal performance and replacing the windscreen.

I think the price point on the 990s stock is around $70. A bargain for what it does.

Awesome. Thanks for the info, as always sir. I tried home recording and backed off from it in lieu of going in to a studio when I need to, and let the people with the experience handle the details so I can concentrate on the drum parts I have to nail. I do occasional multitrack recording at home, but it's not done with much thought, equipment or preparation. Basically just plugging a vdrum kit into a zoom digital multitracker. Sounds OK. Acoustic drums are much more dynamic and harder to record correctly for a novice like me...