The Descent

Xanadoood

Anybody see this ? I caught it last night on SyFy, and man, it was pretty brutal. Great story, performances, and the creatures are nasty! Some great fight scenes in this one!...Very impressed.

It was good, but so many people had hyped it up too much before I saw it, so that always makes your expectation too high. Still, it was a good flick. I would definitely recommend it. Edited by tick

saw it at the cinema - amazingly good film, had everything and more. But more importantly had a pretty good story & beliveable actresses

QUOTE (Sonatine @ Oct 12 2009, 08:22 AM)
saw it at the cinema - amazingly good film, had everything and more. But more importantly had a pretty good story & beliveable actresses

Yeah i found the performances very believable as well. For some reason , the movie reminded me of 28 Days Later, the way it was filmed and the action scenes.

I saw it when it first came out in the theatre a few years ago. I wasn't too terribly impressed.. it was alright I suppose. I thought they should have left the part about the creatures out and maybe have it more of a psychological dissention between the girls. I think that would have made the film a lot better. When you're in a tight closed space for that long of a time, and you feel you might be stuck a lot of things can happen in a group of people. For the most part they showed that really well.. but then they added the creatures... it ruined it for me IMO.

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Oct 12 2009, 01:09 PM)
If you enjoyed this movie as I did (I thought it was very good but not excellent) you may also enjoy this similarly styled film:

High Tension

http://www.best-horror-movies.com/images/High-Tension-movie-poster-small.jpg

I LOVED HIGH TENSION!!!!!!!!

One of the BEST movies I have seen in a long time... figures it's a French Foreign film. tongue.gif

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Oct 12 2009, 01:09 PM)
If you enjoyed this movie as I did (I thought it was very good but not excellent) you may also enjoy this similarly styled film:

High Tension

http://www.best-horror-movies.com/images/High-Tension-movie-poster-small.jpg

Interesting. Ill have to check that out. A couple other French ones ive seen that were good were " Inside" and " Them'...who knew the french could make a good horror movie?

"Inside" was pretty f'ed up that's for sure. Parts of it were very interesting and obviously very gory, but what ended up bothering me was how nonsensical it was. I won't get into details that may spoil it but yeah, not very cohesive at some points.

Many of these french horror films have very strong female antagonist and protagonist roles in them which I think is great.

Since yourself and YBT at least like the french horror and obviously have pretty strong stomachs, you may want to check out MARTYRs sometime over Halloween. It really does bring bizarre and disturbing to an entire other level...

http://www.dreadcentral.com/img/news/jan09/martyrs.jpg

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Oct 13 2009, 03:42 PM)
"Inside" was pretty f'ed up that's for sure. Parts of it were very interesting and obviously very gory, but what ended up bothering me was how nonsensical it was. I won't get into details that may spoil it but yeah, not very cohesive at some points.

Many of these french horror films have very strong female antagonist and protagonist roles in them which I think is great.

Since yourself and YBT at least like the french horror and obviously have pretty strong stomachs, you may want to check out MARTYRs sometime over Halloween. It really does bring bizarre and disturbing to an entire other level...

Oooh... I just checked out the synopsis and trailer over at Bloody-Disgusting.com http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/film/2031 Looks like something I'll be checking out. Thanks! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Oct 12 2009, 06:58 PM)
I saw it when it first came out in the theatre a few years ago. I wasn't too terribly impressed.. it was alright I suppose. I thought they should have left the part about the creatures out and maybe have it more of a psychological dissention between the girls. I think that would have made the film a lot better. When you're in a tight closed space for that long of a time, and you feel you might be stuck a lot of things can happen in a group of people. For the most part they showed that really well.. but then they added the creatures... it ruined it for me IMO.

In a round about kind of way I was reminded of the film Alien: both films concentrating on a bunch of humans confined in a suffocatingly cramped area, waiting to be picked off by the monster hiding in the shadows.

If I had to make a choice between the two, I would probably go for Alien as the more suspenseful of the two.

QUOTE (Sonatine @ Oct 13 2009, 04:43 PM)
QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Oct 12 2009, 06:58 PM)

In a round about kind of way I was reminded of the film Alien: both films concentrating on a bunch of humans confined in a suffocatingly cramped area, waiting to be picked off by the monster hiding in the shadows.

If I had to make a choice between the two, I would probably go for Alien as the more suspenseful of the two.

Hmm.. interesting take on the film. I definitely agree Alien as being a WAY better film of the two. I'm a HUGE fan of the Alien franchise. Hell I even have the collectors cards from the legacy edition from all the films. Plus Giger's artwork. tongue.gif

I do think that the film (Descent) would have been better if it stayed with the girl losing her mind because she wanted to be the one to discover the new cave. She got kinda crazy and violent near the end... then to have like the girls dying from actual natural causes that can happen when you go Spalunking adding to their fear because they think there might be no way out. That can put people at their most desperate height for survival. Rather than having these creatures in there... it would have been more scary that way.

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Oct 13 2009, 04:16 PM)
QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Oct 13 2009, 03:42 PM)
"Inside" was pretty f'ed up that's for sure.  Parts of it were very interesting and obviously very gory, but what ended up bothering me was how nonsensical it was.  I won't get into details that may spoil it but yeah, not very cohesive at some points.

Since yourself and YBT at least like the french horror and obviously have pretty strong stomachs, you may want to check out MARTYRs sometime over Halloween.  It really does bring bizarre and disturbing to an entire other level...

Oooh... I just checked out the synopsis and trailer over at Bloody-Disgusting.com http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/film/2031 Looks like something I'll be checking out. Thanks! biggrin.gif

This one totally slipped under my radar. Bloody-Disgusting is a great resource for Horror!..Ill check this one out...looks pretty nasty!..so many great movies from overseas.

1022.gif trink39.gif