Paying by Fingerprint

Drumnut

Mon Mar 14,10:31 AM ET

BERLIN (Reuters) - Customers of a German supermarket chain will soon be able to pay for their shopping by placing their finger on a scanner at the check-out, saving the time spent scrabbling for coins or cards.

An Edeka store in the southwest German town of Ruelzheim has piloted the technology since November and now the company plans to equip its stores across the region.

"All customers need do is register once with their identity card and bank details, then they can shop straight away," said store manager Roland Fitterer.

The scanner compares the shopper's fingerprint with those stored in its database along with account details.

Edeka bosses said they were confident the system could not be abused.

story.news.yahoo.com

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Mar 15 2005, 12:05 AM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Mar 15 2005, 12:55 AM)
Sounds like another way for Big Brother to watch our every move.

yes.gif

BERLIN (Reuters) - Customers of a German supermarket chain

This is in Germany, I think it will be a while before we see something like this in the states just for this reason. Many people don't even like giving out their home phone numbers these days. unsure.gif

You beat me to it 1-0-0- laugh.gif

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Mar 15 2005, 03:10 AM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Mar 15 2005, 12:05 AM)

yes.gif

BERLIN (Reuters) - Customers of a German supermarket chain

This is in Germany, I think it will be a while before we see something like this in the states just for this reason. Many people don't even like giving out their home phone numbers these days. unsure.gif

Don't worry, if it catches on over there, we will be right behind them. Even in this country we are losing rights and liberties as we speak. For instance, now they are "allowed to tap our phones and blame terrorism for the reaon they do it. The patriot act doesn't limit spying on just terrorism cases, they only blamed the reason that they needed to do it on terrorism. Get what I'm saying? Terrorism only helped them get what they wanted all along. sarcasm.gif

Archived