Farscape

Jack Aubrey

When it comes to sci-fi I'm something of a reluctant geek. I do have a few sci-fi movies in my collection, some are somewhat cheesy guilty pleasures ('Event Horizon') and others are truly great ('Blade Runner'). I also own the entire series of 'Babylon 5' because that show got it right. I'm not in love with it's first season and the fifth season is a little uneven because they came so close to being cancelled umpteen times, but seasons 2-4? Yeah, fantastic. Check 'em out sometime. Then we have the almost-inevitable 'Star Trek'. I hate it, I frickin' hate it. I hate the stilted dialogue, I hate that they're practically holding up a huge sign that reads "This is a metaphor for our times. Get it?" every five seconds and I hate the "weighty" themes. Don't preach to me, entertain me, dammit!

Then there's 'Farscape'. Odd, quirky, coming-at-you-from-way-out-of-nowhere-and-it's-got-Muppets 'Farscape'. I love it. It gives me the warm fuzzies just thinking about it. John Crichton was run through the wringer more times than anyone has a right to survive but he always finds a way and comes out smiling. This is a guy who can take it. He's flexible, he adapts, he survives. That's the kind of man I try hard to be so I relate to him. Like 'Babylon 5', this show got short shrift, too. When the Sci Fi channel got a new president she immediately cancelled it despite the fact that it was their highest-rated show because it was too expensive, and now all that channel shows is crappy movies with Lorenzo Lamas and really bad CGI that looks like it was renderred on a TRS-80.

So imagine how happy I was to discover that the complete season is being released on DVD in November! Now I know what to ask for for Christmas!

If you haven't seen this, then check it out in November, you will not regret it!

Forgot all about that show....never watched it either.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Sep 1 2009, 11:29 AM)
When it comes to sci-fi I'm something of a reluctant geek. I do have a few sci-fi movies in my collection, some are somewhat cheesy guilty pleasures ('Event Horizon') and others are truly great ('Blade Runner'). I also own the entire series of 'Babylon 5' because that show got it right. I'm not in love with it's first season and the fifth season is a little uneven because they came so close to being cancelled umpteen times, but seasons 2-4? Yeah, fantastic. Check 'em out sometime. Then we have the almost-inevitable 'Star Trek'. I hate it, I frickin' hate it. I hate the stilted dialogue, I hate that they're practically holding up a huge sign that reads "This is a metaphor for our times. Get it?" every five seconds and I hate the "weighty" themes. Don't preach to me, entertain me, dammit!

Then there's 'Farscape'. Odd, quirky, coming-at-you-from-way-out-of-nowhere-and-it's-got-Muppets 'Farscape'. I love it. It gives me the warm fuzzies just thinking about it. John Crichton was run through the wringer more times than anyone has a right to survive but he always finds a way and comes out smiling. This is a guy who can take it. He's flexible, he adapts, he survives. That's the kind of man I try hard to be so I relate to him. Like 'Babylon 5', this show got short shrift, too. When the Sci Fi channel got a new president she immediately cancelled it despite the fact that it was their highest-rated show because it was too expensive, and now all that channel shows is crappy movies with Lorenzo Lamas and really bad CGI that looks like it was renderred on a TRS-80.

So imagine how happy I was to discover that the complete season is being released on DVD in November! Now I know what to ask for for Christmas!

If you haven't seen this, then check it out in November, you will not regret it!

Hmmmm thanks for the heads up about farscape! That was one of my favorites too, and you nailed it dead center. Different, fresh perspective of television science fiction that didn't have a movie that inspired it, or a graphic novel to borrow a plot from. Just good science fiction that takes you on a joyride through time and space. Buckle up, it's no soft smooth ride either.

Hah cancelling shows because they're too expensive to make...isn't that why SG-1, BSG AND Atlantis got canned? Oh wait SG Universe is coming this fall with a cast of nobodies doing....?