Time For Me To Be Put To Sleep By "sirens" Let's

RUSHHEAD666

Heavy Metalists!

Has anyone on here even dedicated a thread to the great band out of Florida known as SAVATAGE?

I remember buying their first album called "SIRENS" when I was a kid.

Even today in 2009 this album still withstands the test of time.

You have to tip your hat to the late Criss Oliva and genius of Jon Oliva.

What an incredible band!

Everyone must own "HALL OF THE MOUNTAIN KING!"

"GUTTER BALLET?" A must.

"STREETS?"

Yeah, JESUS SAVES!

I must find time this Holiday Season to take the wife and kids to TSO!

You guys know what that stands for right?

TRANS-SIBERIAN ORCHESTRA!

If you don't like SAVATAGE then hey, it's your loss!

ROCK ON AND GOODNIGHT!

Love,

"TAUNTING COBRAS"

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss...

1022.gif

Edited by RUSHHEAD666

Sirens is one of the best metal albums of all time and definitely one of the most poorly known. I actually work with Jon and Criss' nephew who is named Chris. Good guy. The first time I met him and heard his name I was like: that's weird, I used to go see a band....

Nice one Ways! This thread was almost "Dead And Buried!"

Yes, Savatage is totally underrated. "SIRENS" is a masterpiece. I love the self titled track. Wind chimes included! LOL!

You are soooooo lucky that you saw Savatage! Yet another band I have never seen.

I will be checking out TSO this November though!

Love,

"Twisted Little Sister" wub.gif

I used to see Jon hanging out at a local music shop quite a bit.

Most of the places I saw them at don;t exist although I did see them at Busch Gardens for a Halloween show. There was a "moat" in front of the stage for animal shows and I remember Jon pretending to push Criss in the water (plugged into an amp and with guitar). We had a cool metal scene here back in the eighties with them, Morbid Angel, and Nasty Savage. I once saw Morbid angel play at a house party - to drink out of the keg you had to pay $5. No wristbands - they literally drew three sixes on your hand to show you paid. The bass player in my first band was in Nasty Savage for a long time as well. Lots of places to play back then like Rosie's, Rocky Point, and a place in Brandon that I can;t remember...

Damn my friend! Thanks for sharing those cool memories. I wish I could have seen that show!

Jon is awesome too. I hear he is totally overweight now. Poor guy.

He has his own project too called "Jon Oliva's Pain." It's not bad but not great either.

That must have been one hell of a Halloween Show! Awesome!

Our Eighties scene was solid too. We had bands like Motley Crue and Y&T play at the Concord Pavilion on Halloween Nights.

I was too damn young to go!

sad.gif

Jon always struggled a bit with his weight. Made up for it with a cool voice though. Seeing the crue perform back in the day would have been cool. I always liked their firstalbum the best.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Aug 11 2009, 03:03 PM)
Jon always struggled a bit with his weight. Made up for it with a cool voice though. Seeing the crue perform back in the day would have been cool. I always liked their firstalbum the best.

Yeah I hate to say it but I do believe Motley Crue opened for Y&T back in say 1981 or 1982. It was the "Too Fast For Love" Tour. I am sure of that. For Y&T it was their "Black Tiger" Tour.

Could you imagine seeing that show? DAMN!

Yeah, Jon has a fantastic voice. It doesn't really matter what ya look like.

Same for Steven Rothery of Marillion. Such a fantastic guitar player. All of the sudden he blew up like a hot air balloon getting ready to take off into the Napa Valley early morning sky.

Poor dude. Still though the guy can play!!

One of the best guitar players on the planet!

Earl

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Aug 10 2009, 09:07 PM)
Most of the places I saw them at don;t exist although I did see them at Busch Gardens for a Halloween show. There was a "moat" in front of the stage for animal shows and I remember Jon pretending to push Criss in the water (plugged into an amp and with guitar). We had a cool metal scene here back in the eighties with them, Morbid Angel, and Nasty Savage. I once saw Morbid angel play at a house party - to drink out of the keg you had to pay $5. No wristbands - they literally drew three sixes on your hand to show you paid. The bass player in my first band was in Nasty Savage for a long time as well. Lots of places to play back then like Rosie's, Rocky Point, and a place in Brandon that I can;t remember...

Was able to share a brew with Jon at the Rock-It Club back in the day when I caught Savatage there during the Gutter Ballet tour. He still had "The Grit" when he was belting out my fave 'tage toon, "Hall of the Mountain King". LOVE that laugh/scream!

But yea, HotMK is Savatage's 2112. These tracks:

24 Hours Ago

Beyond the Doors of the Dark

Legions

Strange Wings

Hall of the Mountain King

Devastation

are just awesomely powerful hard-ass rock.

We must have traveled in similar circles. I've hung out at the house in Brandon that most of Nasty Savage seemed to live in; played pictionary with Richard Bateman - which was HILARIOUS! I've met various members of Morbid Angel over the years (give random computer advice to current drummer), etc...

tell me - do you know the murderabilia king of Tampa?

QUOTE (DarthLen @ Aug 11 2009, 07:04 PM)
QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Aug 10 2009, 09:07 PM)
Most of the places I saw them at don;t exist although I did see them at Busch Gardens for a Halloween show.  There was a "moat" in front of the stage for animal shows and I remember Jon pretending to push Criss in the water (plugged into an amp and with guitar).  We had a cool metal scene here back in the eighties with them, Morbid Angel, and Nasty Savage.  I once saw Morbid angel play at a house party - to drink out of the keg you had to pay $5.  No wristbands - they literally drew three sixes on your hand to show you paid.  The bass player in my first band was in Nasty Savage for a long time as well.  Lots of places to play back then like Rosie's, Rocky Point, and a place in Brandon that I can;t remember...

Was able to share a brew with Jon at the Rock-It Club back in the day when I caught Savatage there during the Gutter Ballet tour. He still had "The Grit" when he was belting out my fave 'tage toon, "Hall of the Mountain King". LOVE that laugh/scream!

But yea, HotMK is Savatage's 2112. These tracks:

24 Hours Ago

Beyond the Doors of the Dark

Legions

Strange Wings

Hall of the Mountain King

Devastation

are just awesomely powerful hard-ass rock.

We must have traveled in similar circles. I've hung out at the house in Brandon that most of Nasty Savage seemed to live in; played pictionary with Richard Bateman - which was HILARIOUS! I've met various members of Morbid Angel over the years (give random computer advice to current drummer), etc...

tell me - do you know the murderabilia king of Tampa?

don;t know the murderabilia king...

I saw Bateman a couple of years ago - he still lives in the same crib he did in high school with the room out back that we used to practice in. Before he moved to Seattle his bro Randy played a bit of drums for us when we were Scimitar. Never hung with Morbid Angel - I just remember that crazy party they played. It was weird - when we got there no one was headbanging or thrashing. Steve and I chugged two beers, went straight to the band and started headbanging. I remember a gig at Rosie's on Nebraska Ave. way back. Ronnie (Nasty Savage) used to trash a TV with a chain and used to let the crowd take some whacks. A buddy of mine grabbed his mic and started singing the chorus to XXX. Ronnie looked at him for a couple of secs and then said: "Can I have my mic back please?" which was cool since he had every right to hit him with the chain....

1022.gif

One of my all time faves. I started a Savatage thread a few years back. Either that, or talked about them an awful lot. I only got Kazzman into them, but hey... at least one guy here knows music enough to appreciate an awesome metal band like Savatage.

Great to see some more. 1022.gif

Cool guys! I agree with Necro! Glad there is some life in yet another SAVATAGE thread!

I totally agree about "Hall Of The Mountain King." CLASSIC METAL!

"Gutter Ballet" is also fantastic.

I know a lot of Savatage fans who think that "STREETS" is their masterpiece.

I beg to differ.

I like it but it's not their best.

Selfishly I would have to say that "SIRENS" is their best!

If you don't like my pick then it's time for a "HOLOCAUST!"

ROCK ON! 1022.gif