Audio source on the DVD?

The Owl

This is a technical question for the DVD.

Dose anyone know if the audio soucre for the DVD is the same source they used for the Live album?

That was a problem with the CD version of r30 (avialble in the 4 disc version). They used the same audio source for the CD as they used on the DVD, and the CD sort of sounded like a cheap audio rip that anyone could have done.

That was one really good thing about Rush in Rio, I think the audio sources for the CD and DVD were diffrent....I think, correct me if I'm wrong.

The S&A live CD sounded really good............for a CD. I just really hope that It's not the same audio source for the DVD.

The Rio cd is the exact same as the stereo dvd mix but obviously if you're listening to the 5.1 mix it sounds different. If fact, Neil says so in the liner notes:

"Our manager, Ray, suggested that some people might prefer to listen to us without having to look at us, and we could understand how that might be. Perhaps we should release the show on CD as well, for those who might prefer just "the audio portion of the program." After all, the work was already done... "

I'm confident S&A will be the same. I think S&A Live sounds fantastic and the 5.1 will be even better. It's possible the stereo resolution will be different but the mix and the performances will be exactly the same I'm sure.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Oct 2 2008, 09:20 AM)
The Rio cd is the exact same as the stereo dvd mix but obviously if you're listening to the 5.1 mix it sounds different. If fact, Neil says so in the liner notes:

"Our manager, Ray, suggested that some people might prefer to listen to us without having to look at us, and we could understand how that might be. Perhaps we should release the show on CD as well, for those who might prefer just "the audio portion of the program." After all, the work was already done... "

I'm confident S&A will be the same. I think S&A Live sounds fantastic and the 5.1 will be even better. It's possible the stereo resolution will be different but the mix and the performances will be exactly the same I'm sure.

That may be it, but it dose sound diffrent. You can hear more of the audience on the DVD, and the sound is crisper. But the RIR CD sounded very good as well.

The r30 audio transfer to CD was shitty IMO. The sound quality is no where near as good as the DVD. Espically with the vocals. ON the CD version of r30 it sounds like Geddy is singing with a swollen tonge. Something of which is not on the DVD.

Well, like I said, the resolution can and might be different. It's still the exact same performance and mix though (for the stereo versions). The higher resolution can be really noticeable though, as good as the S&A studio album sounds to me the high resolution stereo version on the MVI is certainly better. I just don't think I've noticed any difference between the cds and dvds of Rio and R30 because I listen to the cds in the car and the dvds at home so it's a totally different sound environment with different equipment. I'll try to compare them both on my home stereo.

By the way, I meant to add that sometimes it can be really deceiving when you're watching and listening vs. just listening. Things certainly seem to sound better when you also have visual input. When you watch Neil hit a drum or Alex hit a chord while you're listening they're going to seem more apparent to you in the sound. It's just an illusion sometimes.

Archived