Crazy dream about Rush last night

mfratt

This was by far one of the longest, most vivid, most involved, and most fun dreams I've ever had. It was both completely realistic and completely outlandish at the same time. All of my dreams last night must have been continuations of the same dream, because there is no way that a single dream could have been this long. It literally felt like a whole day's worth of activities.

Anyway, the setting was a Rush concert. I don't fully remember how I got there, but I do think that I recall buying tickets and entering the arena at some point. Oddly enough, the venue was much smaller than Rush would typically play at, maybe a 1000-2000 person capacity, all on a lawn with a modest sized stage up front.

Somehow, I managed to find myself back stage. I walked out onto the stage and stood behind Neil Peart, watching him work his magic on the drums. I was just awestruck at how quickly and accurately he was pounding away. Looking back on it, I'm also amazed on how well and accurately my mind was able to put this drum beat together and match up visuals with it. At one point, Peart said something to me, asking me what I was doing, and I responded with something like "Just watching the Professor do what he does best."

I kind of hung around the stage for a while, and I was standing behind Alex Lifeson during a guitar solo (might have been Limelight), and I noticed how relaxed he was during it. I made a comment about how he's ripping out these intense solos and he's so relaxed about it all. He turned to me and held his fingers to his lips as if he were smoking a joint, saying that he's high. "Ohh, gotcha," I said.

Next thing I remember, it was the intermission, and I was sitting down talking to Alex. I very specifically remember asking him one question, "Did you guys have any clue that you were gonna make it this big back in the day? Like, at what point did you stop and realize 'wow, we really might be something'?" Unfortunately, I didn't get an answer, he just said "You realize every interview we've ever done, we get asked that question?" and laughed. I then asked him something like "So, you still smoke [pot]?" referring to his earlier jesture. He said yes, but then something about not as much as he did back in the day. I then made a refrence to Alex's "involvement" in this interview (and part two), and how he just kinna sits there spaced out. I even brought up the tidbit "Cause we..we don't talk so good." We had a good laugh about that, then Geddy walked by. I turned, and with a smirk on my face said something like "Yea Geddy don't smoke that dope no more because he's....Geddy Lee." He laughed and kept on walking.

After that is when things started to go bad.

There was a problem with some of the gear (apparently) and they couldn't continue. The intermission must have been an hour long because of this, and people started getting ticked off and leaving. One girl came up to me and said something like "I've been a Rush fan for thirteen years and this is the worst show I'd ever been too," directed at me as if I were responsible for everything. I took responsibility and went to try and fix it. Some how, I narrowed it down to one of Geddy's amps being screwed up. I plugged a bass in and started fiddling with all the buttons on the amp, and there were more damned buttons and knobs on that thing than I'd ever seen in my life. Eventually, I got it working. For some reason, Geddy's Fender wouldn't work, so I gave him a Marcus Miller signature Jazz Bass, which he played and the show went on. Everyone was happy again.

At one point, Lifeson climbed up atop a stack of amps that must have been 50 feet high to do his guitar solo. I also grabbed another bass and stared jamming along to YYZ when they played it.

During 2112 Overture, I was watching Geddy work his magic on the bass, noticing his command of the fretboard and his ability to move his hands around with such accuracy and speed. I think at one point, he was noting the first and sixth frets without moving his hand (probably impossible even for Geddy, but hey, it was a dream).

The show ended, I wished the guys farwell and went to drive home. The Rush content ends here, but I'll wrap it up anyway. Driving, I noticed my car had about a thrid the power that it should, so I figured something was wrong, but it kept running so I drove home. When I got home, I went to put some ointment on a bug bite that I have which is becoming infected (realized yesterday so I began using lotion and band aids on it). I put more lotion on and changed the band aid, then woke up.

ohmy.gif

Some silly things happened in that dream but it woulda still been cool to have hung out with 2.gif for such a long period of time (well, long for a dream). Cool story! It was a good read!

smile.gif Glad that you got the show rolling again. trink39.gif

Archived