Why we love Rush!!!

troutman

QUOTE (Schro @ Feb 8 2005, 11:44 AM)
I love Rush because they represent the musician I would like to be if that was my career. Pushing their own prowess, respectful of their fans, but playing music they like to play.

I love the images, stories and philosophies that Neil creates with his pen. I'm not a religious person, but I consider the Rush catalogue to be my "Hymn Book". Some of the songs speak so well to the way I think and feel, that they are anthems for me.

NeilFinal.gif

I love their dedication to composition. Some may disagree, but I think, from the beginning, they've given their all in the studio. I think some of us revere Rush so highly we forget music is an art. There will be times that even the best musicians will create something and, for whatever reason, the end result does not meet the vision. Or it ends up being moving for some but not others.

I love how they push themselves musically. I'll never forget reading about the making of Hemispheres and Ged was saying, "we wrote parts for ourselves that we weren't even capable of playing at the time.." I don't know about you, but that puts a lump in my throat.

GeddyFinal.gif

I love Rush for their perseverence. I didn't hang out with the cool crowds or get invited to the cool parties. I can't speak for them, but I have a feeling each member of Rush had a similar experience growing up. And their start as a band mirrored that a bit. When they were starting out, they were able to slowly develop a following. But how many more people looked at them (and their fans) and laughed? You like those guys? You think those guys are going to make it big? You gotta be kidding.

Certainly Rush heard that criticism. They knew they weren't the "cool" band. But I've always had this vision that, very early on Alex and Geddy looked at each other and said, "well maybe we've got a lot of people who think we stink. But there are people out there that like what we're doing. Let's play for those guys."

They've made an entire career playing for "those guys", and I'm damn proud to be part of that group.

AlexFinal.gif

Some Rush fans like to rub it in their face to others, so to speak, that Rush finally made it big. Still, others will come back and say - "well, they may have been successful but they're nowhere near the Stones or the Beatles. And they'll never be in the Hall of Fame." They have a point. Rush isn't #1 in the industry, by almost any standard.

But really, who cares? I love the fact that Rush's goal is not be #1. Instead they're pursing musical careers their way, without sacrificing personal integrity. How many other bands can honestly say that? It's a short list. I maintain that, in many areas of life, being #1 isn't all that important. I think deep down inside we know our own potential. And I think that what is important is that, at the end of the day, you are satisfied with what you put into your work and can sleep at night knowing you gave it your best shot.

1287.gif

Cheers,

cool.gif

Schro

goodpost.gif

kishug.gif

I may only be 16...but I know whats good and whats not good. Rush sail on past good and keep on going!

I first heard Rush on a compilation CD entitled 'Greatest Air Guitar Anthems III' and the song was 'Spirt of Radio'. being a guitarist myself, that opening riff blew me away! The effort those guys put iinto the music is phenominal and it shows when you see them live! I went to one of the last shows for their 30th Aniversary Tour in London and they were loving it, not bored playing the same songs at all!!

can't add much to what Slaine said, but here goes..

i love RUSH because they're rock, but they're so much deeper than that. don't get me wrong, i love rock bands, but they're all alike..with differences. rock really moves me, but RUSH connects with me. there's such a variety in their music that you can't find in other bands. not to mention they're EXTREMELY talented, beautiful (men..? tongue.gif ), wise, & educated men. they are my role models! biggrin.gif

so i guess it's just because they're..different? tongue.gif

Where do i begin? i could sit here and tell you that they are awesome musicians....i could tell you that are intelligent....i could tell you how awesome they are in concert....then i might say something like they are innovative and influencial....BUT, i dont think that is the crux of why i like them so much. The reason why i like them so much is difficult to explain in words because the emotion i associate with rush is so unique. All i can say is that Rush have done something that no other bands have done. They are a gentle hand and a secret touch of my heart.

It is almost as if Rush music were written for me and to me. i dont know if i could have survived the last five years of my life without Rush....they are a gift...

They simply weave the fabric of my dreams!!!

This Sums up what I like about RusH..........

Art as expression

Not as market campaigns

Will still capture our imaginations

Given the same

State of integrity

It will surely help us along

That is the group in a nut shell.

The music helps through the bad times and Helps us celebrate the good times.

They never take themselves as seriously as we do sometimes.

That and they praise the virture of soup.

Archived