The TRF golfer's thread

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was brutal on the last course I played. We did the twilinght $10 special again, had to wait a couple times for those in front of us, almost got hit by the anxious rednecks playing behind.

People were so slow, we only got 8 holes in before quitting in the dark.

But you gotta love it!

QUOTE (gleamingalloyaircar81 @ Jul 5 2008, 08:10 AM)
QUOTE (Janie @ Jul 1 2008, 02:46 PM)
So, I'm gonna go out and whack some balls with a guy friend who knows how to golf. We're going to, "hit a few buckets" next week. I'm excited about this. I'm dying to know how I'll do.

Awesome! Now you will hack them out a lot at first but dont get discouraged! Its loads of fun even if you dont play good!

UPDATE: I had a really good time. We just went to the driving range and shot a few buckets. It was a lot of fun actually! I can see how golf can be addicting. I would get in one good swing and try to remember what it was that I did and then the next shot wouldn't be so good but the following one would... Anyway, I'm anxious to get out there again. I'm thinking I should stick with the driving range and take a few lessons before hitting the green. (Am I even using the right terminology here?!) I couldn't get out and play a game right now. There's no way!

So... my first ball went 20 feet (no kidding) but by the end I could smack those suckers at least out to the 150 yard sign which was good for me I thought. Especially since I didn't have good form and had no idea what I was doing. My guy friend tried to teach me but he's not the best when it comes to stuff like that. And then my girlfriend that I went with was piss poor. Sorry honey but you suck! Her first ball went 20 feet as did her second, fourteenth, twenty-ninth... Funny bit, one time I hit the 100 yard sign and there was a sharp "PING" sound and all the other men on the driving range made a little hoot and holler thing. It was funny. So... golf... I think I like it.

Need to get a glove though. My left hand was a bit sore. AND SPEAKING OF SORE!! So... some of you know that I run a lot. I run every day, seven miles. No breaks. My hips are almost constantly sore. I had to take my mind off the soreness as best I could when I swung the club and rotated my hips at the end of the swing. That kind of sucked.

One other funny thing I just remembered, there were a number of ball buckets out on the field! You know people must have had some bad swings when you got to chuck the metal bucket out there.

Oh, and there was only minimal cussing on my part.

QUOTE (Janie @ Jul 15 2008, 09:19 AM)
So, I'm gonna go out and whack some balls with a guy friend who knows how to golf. We're going to, "hit a few buckets" next week. I'm excited about this. I'm dying to know how I'll do.

Awesome! Now you will hack them out a lot at first but dont get discouraged! Its loads of fun even if you dont play good!

UPDATE: I had a really good time. We just went to the driving range and shot a few buckets. It was a lot of fun actually! I can see how golf can be addicting. I would get in one good swing and try to remember what it was that I did and then the next shot wouldn't be so good but the following one would... Anyway, I'm anxious to get out there again. I'm thinking I should stick with the driving range and take a few lessons before hitting the green. (Am I even using the right terminology here?!) I couldn't get out and play a game right now. There's no way!

So... my first ball went 20 feet (no kidding) but by the end I could smack those suckers at least out to the 150 yard sign which was good for me I thought. Especially since I didn't have good form and had no idea what I was doing. My guy friend tried to teach me but he's not the best when it comes to stuff like that. And then my girlfriend that I went with was piss poor. Sorry honey but you suck! Her first ball went 20 feet as did her second, fourteenth, twenty-ninth... Funny bit, one time I hit the 100 yard sign and there was a sharp "PING" sound and all the other men on the driving range made a little hoot and holler thing. It was funny. So... golf... I think I like it.

Need to get a glove though. My left hand was a bit sore. AND SPEAKING OF SORE!! So... some of you know that I run a lot. I run every day, seven miles. No breaks. My hips are almost constantly sore. I had to take my mind off the soreness as best I could when I swung the club and rotated my hips at the end of the swing. That kind of sucked.

One other funny thing I just remembered, there were a number of ball buckets out on the field! You know people must have had some bad swings when you got to chuck the metal bucket out there.

laugh.gif

Well we say course and not green. green is what you putt on. and we also call it a round not a game but who cares?

THATS GREAT!!! 150 on your first time! Awesome! Too bad Im not there. Im a good golf teacher. Im teaching my older sister how to play!

Hope you continue to play golf!

QUOTE (gleamingalloyaircar81 @ Jul 15 2008, 11:32 AM)

laugh.gif

Well we say course and not green. green is what you putt on. and we also call it a round not a game but who cares?

THATS GREAT!!! 150 on your first time! Awesome! Too bad Im not there. Im a good golf teacher. Im teaching my older sister how to play!

Thanks for the clarification! See? I need a good coach.

I really do plan on keeping up with it. Just bought some new golfin' duds in fact and heading out this afternoon for a glove.

Since I'm just practicing on a driving range ATM, is it weird (or actually normal) to buy a single club for this purpose only? Right now I'm pulling from my friends bag but I kind of want my own. You know what I mean?

QUOTE (Janie @ Jul 15 2008, 03:33 PM)

laugh.gif

I really do plan on keeping up with it. Just bought some new golfin' duds in fact and heading out this afternoon for a glove.

Since I'm just practicing on a driving range ATM, is it weird (or actually normal) to buy a single club for this purpose only? Right now I'm pulling from my friends bag but I kind of want my own. You know what I mean?

Yea but clubs are expensive! You can get some cheap ones though. Damn I wish I could play a round of golf with you.

QUOTE (gleamingalloyaircar81 @ Jul 15 2008, 04:38 PM)
QUOTE (Janie @ Jul 15 2008, 03:33 PM)

laugh.gif

Yea but clubs are expensive! You can get some cheap ones though. Damn I wish I could play a round of golf with you.

GAAC, that would be very cool.

I need someone who is a good teacher to come out with me. My guy friend is not the best teacher. I need to know every intricate detail before I start something. It was torture having him teach me how to hold the club! Oh well. This may be a long process.

QUOTE (PassTheAmmunition @ Jul 16 2008, 08:31 AM)
janie, glad to see youre getting out there and golfing!

81 yesterday, but only a few good shots. looking forward to a weekend round

Yea I'll prefer to NOT say what I shot yesterday! z7shysterical.gif We'll just say worst round since I went to golf school! laugh.gif

Well, I fixed my drive....I hit 11/14 fairways today(there were only 4 par-3s on this course, weirdish). However, I had 43 putts(no 4 putts, thankfully), and my approach game was even worse. Shot around 125, playing strictly(no mullies, bumps, free redos, etc.). I really just need to practice more, and not on mats.

QUOTE (Mr. Mojo Risin' @ Jul 16 2008, 10:55 PM)
Well, I fixed my drive....I hit 11/14 fairways today(there were only 4 par-3s on this course, weirdish). However, I had 43 putts(no 4 putts, thankfully), and my approach game was even worse. Shot around 125, playing strictly(no mullies, bumps, free redos, etc.). I really just need to practice more, and not on mats.

ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif OMFG 43 putts? Dude thats nuts. Practice man it'll come to you!

And you said, "only 4 par 3's on this course." Thats a regular golf course. I take it you dont usually play on a par 72?

QUOTE (gleamingalloyaircar81 @ Jul 17 2008, 07:00 AM)

ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif OMFG 43 putts? Dude thats nuts. Practice man it'll come to you!

And you said, "only 4 par 3's on this course." Thats a regular golf course. I take it you dont usually play on a par 72?

Yeah, I know, way too many. Lots of lip outs and long putts though.

I should've mentioned a course I used to work at and play a lot had 6 par-3s, it was weird, but I got used to it and liked it.

QUOTE (Mr. Mojo Risin' @ Jul 17 2008, 03:51 PM)

I should've mentioned a course I used to work at and play a lot had 6 par-3s, it was weird, but I got used to it and liked it.

WOW. 6 par 3's. thats insane!

Hey Mojo, going to the Reno-Tahoe Open? They were giving out free tix at the Blood Bank, so I think I'll take the fam. It's a beautiful course and it's fun to get so close to the pro's. It's cool to hang at the range, too, and marvel at their tempo.

QUOTE (goose @ Jul 17 2008, 05:03 PM)

Hey Mojo, going to the Reno-Tahoe Open? They were giving out free tix at the Blood Bank, so I think I'll take the fam. It's a beautiful course and it's fun to get so close to the pro's. It's cool to hang at the range, too, and marvel at their tempo.

I was actually supposed to go to the Celebrity tourney, but I usually work Thursday-Monday. That and I'm too ****ing lazy to get up that early.

Last time I was at the UBS, they were doing a car giveaway, but I'm not eligible to donate again for about a month.

Tahoe really does have some beautiful courses though.

QUOTE (gleamingalloyaircar81 @ Jul 21 2008, 10:21 PM)
I sprained my wrist today playing golf. Out for a few days.

Get well soon Taylor!

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jul 21 2008, 10:47 PM)
QUOTE (gleamingalloyaircar81 @ Jul 21 2008, 10:21 PM)
I sprained my wrist today playing golf.  Out for a few days.

Get well soon Taylor!

Thanks Tim! bekloppt.gif

QUOTE (Mr. Mojo Risin' @ Jul 22 2008, 01:14 AM)
Tim..Taylor?

http://www.associatedentertainment.com/aec/images/main/Tim-Allen.jpg
HOHOHO

Uh, golf. Sooo yeah.

z7shysterical.gif Dude you need to come into chat sometime! We have TIm Taylor noises!

Anyone here have the Callaway X-20's? If so can you tell me if you like them or compare them to your other irons?

Was shopping this past weekend and may go back to upgrade the X-14s..

Thanks

QUOTE (PassTheAmmunition @ Jul 22 2008, 09:08 PM)
Anyone here have the Callaway X-20's? If so can you tell me if you like them or compare them to your other irons?

Thanks

A kid I was in golf school a few weeks ago had the X-20s and he said he loved them. I personally dont like the feel of Callaways. I use almost all TaylorMade clubs.

QUOTE (gleamingalloyaircar81 @ Jul 22 2008, 09:11 PM)
QUOTE (PassTheAmmunition @ Jul 22 2008, 09:08 PM)
Anyone here have the Callaway X-20's?  If so can you tell me if you like them or compare them to your other irons?

Thanks

A kid I was in golf school a few weeks ago had the X-20s and he said he loved them. I personally dont like the feel of Callaways. I use almost all TaylorMade clubs.

Yeah, Ive heard good things about them but I'm afraid I'm just quite used to my X-14s and while I could maybe take advantage of some forgivingness and distance, I really don't want to make a radical change. I played a round with my buddy's Mizuno MP blades and it was okay but I dont think I want to go that route right now. I dont play enough or practice enough.

Got to do something about this job thing ....

I went and shot another couple buckets of balls at the driving range last night with the same two friends. My guy friend... he tries, lord knows he tries but he's not the best when it comes to direction. Anyway, he tried to help me with my swing last night. You know, I think I did better the first time because I had no idea what I was doing. I just swung the club and that was it. This time I found myself concentrating on my swing (how far back was I swinging the club, was I swinging fast enough, hard enough), my stance, was I keeping my eye on the ball, was I pivoting my hips at the end, was I keeping both feet on the ground before swinging... It really broke my concentration actually!

And I am now becoming more aware of golf terminology, namely, worm burners, shank, slice and hook.