The Fall

Rush!

This band is a pretty neat, post-punk outfit I only recently learned of. Mark E. Smith, their lead vocalist, is also the principal songwriter and only constant member of the group since their professional start in the late 1970s. They are still recording today and I believe they have a new album coming out in a few months.

Any fans of this group?

*For beginners, I'd start with the 1990 compilation 458489 A-Sides... and if you enjoy that, move on to 1985's critically-acclaimed This Nation's Saving Grace.

I wouldn't say I was a fan, but I went to see The Fall recently at Newcastle University. I went as a favour to a mate who is a HUGE fan of the music, and Mark E's antics. He has a lot of the vinyl, and his PC's hard drive is loaded with The Fall's music.

The musicians aren't bad, and the words might be quite good, but Mark E's capacity for alcohol had been breached (IMHO), so I've no idea what he was on about. I'd hate to be in his band or on the mixing desk, because he fiddles constantly with the amps and drum mikes. It might be part of the fun?

I'd go again, because every show must be different!

Archived