My Buddy's L.A. review

Rushman14

I thought the volume level was actually pretty damn perfect. It was one of the first things I noticed because I always think shows are too loud these days. I immediately noted that the mix sounded great (although I would've liked a little bit more of a crisp/loud snare and boomier kick drum at times) and the volume was nice. But, I was seated towards the back of the room, so maybe it sounded better where I was. That was not only my first Rush show, but my first time at the Nokia. What a great venue! Great layout. Not a bad seat in the house.

Well, as you know, I am not a huge Rush fan. ! I do love the first album though. And I definitely like a lot of different tracks of theirs from over the years- mostly the 70's stuff. I mean, I was born in '71. So when I first got seriously into music, Rush were THE big band. They were hard to avoid. But, I just always gravitated to the less prog-ish stuff. Nevertheless, I always appreciated Rush. Just never bought the records or went to the shows. Well, I have a whole new appreciation for them after last night. That was just a great f***ing show! The musicianship was off the charts, the set was good (loved how they opened with the older material right off the bat), even some of the new tunes were enjoyable, the stage looked awesome, the video and lights were fantastic, and of course Neil's solo was just ridiculous. I have to say, what really won me over and was a pleasant surprise was the realization of just how bluesy of a guitarist Alex truly is. His leads were so tasteful. Hearing him play live, I really heard the band's sound as it is probably most intended to come across. The impression I got was that Neil and Geddy are kind of one half of the band's sound- locked in and playing more of the odd time signatures and doing more of the tech/prog work. Alex is just throwing washes of "color" over the top of what those guys are doing. With exceptions, of course. But, Alex's style, at its core, was really quite blues oriented. Which I liked.

I much prefer 70's and early 80's era Rush when they still had more of an organic rock vibe happening. Therefore, the only disappointment for me was that they didn't play "Working Man" or "In The Mood" from the first album. No "Fly By Night" or anything from the second album either, I don't think. Did they? I am told they usually play "Working Man" so my guess is that they had played it the night before and were switching up the setlist for last night's show. Oh- and I loved Geddy's rotisserie chickens in place of the amps. I can't believe he goes direct with his bass when he plays live. It's common in the studio of course, but I've never heard of anyone doing it live. Very modern. I dig it.

I went with my buddy Scott who is good friends with Bubbles from "The Trailer Park Boys" (not sure if you're familiar... it's a Canadian based tv/movie/comedy thing). And apparently all the famous people in the Great White North know each other, I guess?! So, the guys in Rush gave a whole bunch of tix to Bubbles and then he gave a few to my friend Scott. We actually had meet 'n greet passes too but couldn't make it down there that early before the show.

All in all, I gotta say... much respect to RUSH!

QUOTE (daveyt @ May 9 2008, 02:13 PM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ May 9 2008, 02:11 PM)
3 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users):
Rushman14, daveyt  bekloppt.gif

eh.gif

moon.gif

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ May 9 2008, 02:14 PM)
QUOTE (daveyt @ May 9 2008, 02:13 PM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ May 9 2008, 02:11 PM)
3 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users):
Rushman14, daveyt  bekloppt.gif

eh.gif

moon.gif

edited for clarity? tongue.gif

Archived