Why Mike Portnoy is cool

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 28 2008, 09:02 AM)
It's 2008. I ASSUMED you did this recently since you posted it in 2008. Why wait 12 years to post this? confused13.gif Especially with all the Dream Theater bashing that goes on here. laugh.gif Anyway, it's no big deal. As my original post in this thread stated, it's a classy move by Mike Portnoy. I'm not a fan of Dream Theater's music, but that doesn't mean I don't respect them. trink39.gif

Truth be told I just came across the letter the other night when I was going through all my things in the garage. I'm moving soon and I found the priority mail package and decided to post it before I lost it. I never thought it was right to post something that personal, but with all the Portnoy bashing I see on here I figured what the hell. I sent him a personal check made out to cash after hearing that he was "the DT bootleg guy", according to a rumor on the internet at the time. I sent him a letter about six months before he responded. It just so happened I had bought the 1985 majesty demo from Sam the Record Man in Toronto on vacation about a month earlier for like $50. Maybe he remembered watching me drink a pitcher of beer as we talked shop, waiting to go onstage for about fifty people in 1992. What a nice guy though, huh?

QUOTE (PhilCastro @ Apr 28 2008, 07:20 AM)
why did you send him a check? (if you don't mind me asking)

Well...

I posted this without the scanned picture of the letter years ago, actually. I sent him a check for some bootleg recordings I heard he had in his vault hoping he would cash the check and send me some goodies. I hope that nobody tries to do the same thing I did. I would feel bad for posting this. That's really why I never posted a new thread about this, only said it in passing. I figure why not show his true colors after hearing all the bad press about how he's an "egomaniac"and all. I think it's all B.S. I've read at least one article where he said he knows who the real greats in drumming are and that he's not one of them. I found him to be very humble and down to earth when I talked to him at clubs on the 1992/93/94 tours, too.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Apr 27 2008, 07:11 AM)

I still hate their music.

"Hate" sure is a strong word unsure.gif confused13.gif Their music must be like torture for you tongue.gif

By the way, masked drummer, that's really cool! trink39.gif I'm a DT fan, and have been since Images & Words 1022.gif

Archived