Presto appreciation thread

mfratt

QUOTE (Scooch @ Apr 24 2009, 05:40 PM)
Just my opinion, but I'm not a fan of the Hines albums... for me they are my least favorite albums. There are a couple of good songs on Presto and RTB, but the sound is flat. The drums are pushed back, the bass sounds thin and the overall sound is 'tinny'. Just my opinion though...

Presto isn't bad, but RTB flat out sucks........(material wise). Production sounds like shit on both........

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ive always liked Presto. Never went through a period where I didnt like that album. I dont like the weak production and the lack of dynamics in the recording quality, but I like the dark tone of the album.

It does start to tail off a little after the title track with a string of a few filler songs, but they're still decent.

I enjoy Presto and the production of the album. Credit goes to producer Rupert Hine and his engineer Stephen Tayler for the excellent job they did on the recording.

As I mentioned in the Peter Collins thread, Neil Peart mentioned that Rush pursued Rupert Hine for seven years after the band decided to part ways with Terry Brown after Signals. However Hine was not available.

I remember reading an article with Geddy giving praise to the album 'Human's Lib' by Howard Jones. This album was also produced by Rupert Hine and his engineer Stephen Tayler.

In another interview, the guys in Rush gave praise to Rupert's successful 1981 solo album 'Immunity', which I purchased after reading that article. I think sonically and songwise, Hine's album was influential in the song "Witch Hunt".

I have also noticed that some of Rush's songs have Rupert Hine influenced song lyrics and titles and album titles. Here are some following examples:

Roll The Bones

Faith is cold as ice --

Why are little ones born only to suffer

For the want of immunity

Or a bowl of rice?

Rupert's 1981 solo album is titled 'Immunity".

Test For Echo

Here we go --- vertigo

Video vertigo

Test for echo

There is a song on Rupert's 'Immunity' album titled "I Hang On To My Vertigo".

Grand Designs

Against the run of the mill

Static as it seems

We break the surface tension

With our wild kinetic dreams

There is a song on Rupert's 'Immunity' album titled

Workin' Them Angels

Riding through the Range of Light to the wounded city

Filling my spirit with the wildest wish to fly

Taking the high road to the wounded city

Memory strumming at the heart of a moving picture

'The Wildest Wish To Fly' is the title and a song of a Rupert Hine solo album from 1983.

Below is a fan who had the opportunity to see Rush and Rupert Hine was at the show on the "Snakes & Arrows Tour" - May 2008 in Los Angeles.

Two nights with Rush

QUOTE (Scooch @ Apr 24 2009, 06:40 PM)
Just my opinion, but I'm not a fan of the Hines albums... for me they are my least favorite albums. There are a couple of good songs on Presto and RTB, but the sound is flat. The drums are pushed back, the bass sounds thin and the overall sound is 'tinny'. Just my opinion though...

I used to feel the same way but at the same time there was something intriguing about the sound and the album.

Then on one cold, dark, winter night, I was laying back listening to it and something just clicked.

It is an album that needs to grow on the listener and that's exactly what it did to me.

Archived