Different Stages: Kings Tour Bonus Disc

The Owl

I have a question regarding the Bonus disc of "Different Stages"

The disc contains almost the whole concert from London...Minus 4 songs that were on the "A Farewell to Kings Tour" setlist.

Those are: Closer to the Heart, 2112(minus Oracle), Lakeside Park, and the Drum Solo.

CTTH and 2112 (As I mentioned in my review thread) were left off because both of these were included already in the regular Diffrent Stages (Discs 1 and 2). The reasons for the other cuts I do not know.

My question is do the recordings for these songs exist? Not bootleg recordings from the London show, but the actual recordings. I am assuming they do, and just wound up on the cutting room floor while making the third disc for DS.

Any Comments, anyone know more about this that I do?

I'll have to go see how much space is left on the cd. I thought they just ran out of room and since they had to cut something they figured the redundant stuff made the most sense along with Lakeside Park since I don't think they've ever been that fond of it.

I'm sure they have the stuff that didn't make the cd.

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Apr 3 2008, 05:45 AM)
Yeah doubt they would just throw it away, I'm sure it's laying around somewhere all but forgotten about.

Makes me think, why if they recoreded the whole show back in London in 77 (or 78, not sure) why they just didn't make it into it's own live album, even if they did not release it until the 90's, but still I think it would have sold well on it's own.

I really want these missing tracks, because I'm sure they exist.

Makes me think, why if they recoreded the whole show back in London in 77 (or 78, not sure) why they just didn't make it into it's own live album, even if they did not release it until the 90's, but still I think it would have sold well on it's own.

I really want these missing tracks, because I'm sure they exist.

The intention was to record it for a radio broadcast like the 1980 St. Louis show and the 1992 London show, they were unhappy about it at the time because Geddy was sick and his vocals were all over the place. Of all the old recordings I have it's easily the worst that Geddy sounds on any of them. They wouldn't have released another live album when it was new anyway because it was so soon after ATWAS. By the time DS came out they felt that it was more valuable from an historical perspective.

It's entirely possible that what's on DS #3 disc is all that's left actually. I think this is unlikely but it may have been edited down in the seventies and they just don't have the other songs. Looking at the track times it seems to be around 62 minutes long which is about what they would have cut it down to back then for radio. I think they probably have those other songs but it's possible they're in the same place as all the edited out footage from their old videos, the dumpster. If they ever release some kind of live boxset retrospective then we'll find out hopefully.

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Apr 3 2008, 10:05 AM)
Think of how many other shows they recorded that we don't know about. Maybe they'll release a box set one of these days with concerts from each tour drool1.gif

I could die a happy man. drool1.gif drool1.gif

QUOTE (Red Porschetta @ Apr 3 2008, 10:30 AM)
QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Apr 3 2008, 10:05 AM)
Think of how many other shows they recorded that we don't know about. Maybe they'll release a box set one of these days with concerts from each tour drool1.gif

I could die a happy man. drool1.gif drool1.gif

A box of rare official rush material would abosultly kill me. Over excitment will release too much endorphines into my blood. I would be on such a Rush (pun intended) that I would think I could do anything. I would go sky diving, but due to my insane euphoria I would forget my perichute.....but what a great death, because I would be listening to the stuff all the way down!!!

Archived