Orange Amp

D-13

Ok long story short...when I was moving from Calgary to Toronto...my dad placed the amp on the stairs...and mysteriously it fell down about 3 steps...onto concrete... sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif I plugged it in...it actually turns on...but I get this burning smell...I have never had this before...I checked the tubes to see if there was dust or something on it...causing it to burn hence the smell...but they are clean. So now it's sitting in the shop...anyone want to guess what the problem is? laugh.gif Electrical i'm guessing. The guy told me that it's probably nothing...and that tube amps do this sometimes....

The outside of the amp has minor damage...thats how rugged these things are... wub.gif

Lesson of the day...don't leave your amp on a stair...get the goddamn thing in your room where it's safe and sound!

Its most likely a wiring problem, something might have gotten shaken up when it fell...

QUOTE (defrushfan01 @ Jul 28 2007, 05:36 PM)
Its most likely a wiring problem, something might have gotten shaken up when it fell...

Hopefully it's just that...and not something else thats expensive wacko.gif

I didn't understand - is it working now or not? Anyway-the tubes are very sensitive parts-I know it-I work with things like this (I also work with tube amps in the studio). Maybe some of the tubes are damaged? It can happen when the amp have fallen. You can see they're not broken, but inside there are many elements and some of them might be damaged by the shaking and sometimes it's not visible. It's possible for the amp to work (or not) but if one of the tube is damaged it may cause problem on some of the other elements (usually resistor-it begins to warm up, an after that to burn (it's not like fire, but it causes the smell and after that-more problems)

I recommend you : DON'T TURN IT ON AGAIN! YOU MAY CAUSE MORE SERIOUS DAMAGES! FIRST TAKE IT TO A COMPETENT ELECTRONIC ENGINEER!

EDIT: I'm sorry-I just saw that your last post was more than 10 days ago...but I'm new to the forum and I still examine it...I hope everything is (going to be) ok with your amp-Orange are very good amps (and some of them-very expensive wacko.gif )

Edited by ghost of a chance

I got it back. guy said there was nothing wrong. My guess.....there was dust on the tubes or something. The "burning Smell" is gone now.

oh well. cheers to Long and M! They saved the day again biggrin.gif

QUOTE (ghost of a chance @ Aug 9 2007, 02:23 PM)
I didn't understand - is it working now or not? Anyway-the tubes are very sensitive parts-I know it-I work with things like this (I also work with tube amps in the studio). Maybe some of the tubes are damaged? It can happen when the amp have fallen. You can see they're not broken, but inside there are many elements and some of them might be damaged by the shaking and sometimes it's not visible. It's possible for the amp to work (or not) but if one of the tube is damaged it may cause problem on some of the other elements (usually resistor-it begins to warm up, an after that to burn (it's not like fire, but it causes the smell and after that-more problems)
I recommend you : DON'T TURN IT ON AGAIN! YOU MAY CAUSE MORE SERIOUS DAMAGES! FIRST TAKE IT TO A COMPETENT ELECTRONIC ENGINEER!

EDIT: I'm sorry-I just saw that your last post was more than 10 days ago...but I'm new to the forum and I still examine it...I hope everything is (going to be) ok with your amp-Orange are very good amps (and some of them-very expensive wacko.gif )

laugh.gif no problem. Thanks for the insight! biggrin.gif trink39.gif