Writing the lyrics amongst the three

ReflectedLight

Hmmm........ unsure.gif

I suppose it's a possibility.

Have you read the lyrics from My Favorite Headache and Victor? The other 2 have no business writing lyrics. Geddy's lyrics weren't too bad in spots on MFH, but they just dont have the depth that comes with Neil's lyrics, which is an integral part of who Rush is. Geddy and Alex just arent smart enough to write lyrics good enough.

QUOTE (trenken @ May 14 2007, 02:11 PM)
Have you read the lyrics from My Favorite Headache and Victor? The other 2 have no business writing lyrics. Geddy's lyrics weren't too bad in spots on MFH, but they just dont have the depth that comes with Neil's lyrics, which is an integral part of who Rush is. Geddy and Alex just arent smart enough to write lyrics good enough.

I think they don't want to be bothered or don't like writing lyrics, but

it would be interesting if they all had an idea about a song.

I actually think Alex would come up with a pretty cool comical theme to a song.

Either that or maybe an all intrumental album. That would be awesome to me.

I definitely wouldn't want to see any lyrics other than Neils' on future albums. I love his writing and even though Geddy and Alex might be able to come up with some good songs, Neil would do waaay better.

QUOTE (trenken @ May 14 2007, 03:11 PM)
Geddy and Alex just arent smart enough to write lyrics good enough.

no.gif

While I like the lyrics the way they are, writing lyrics successfully is not solely based on intelligence. It is a skill that is part talent, part practice and part effort. It's like saying that they aren't smart enough to play the drums because Neil can do that better as well.

In the Kim Mitchell interview Geddy said Neil gave them the lyrics and they messed around with them for the S&A album. Mitchell asked again if they altered Neils original lyrics and Geddy said "yes." So although the foundation is Neil's, Geddy and Alex do play a role in the final product.

"Yeah, oh yeah!

Ooh, said I, I'm comin' out to get you

Ooh, sit down, I'm comin' out to find you

Ooh, yeah

Ooh yeah

Findin' my way!

I've been gone so long

I've lost count of the years

Well, I sang some sad songs

Oh yes, and cried some bad tears

Look out! I'm comin', whoa, whoa

Look out! I'm comin', whoa, yeah

I'm runnin', finding my way back home

Oh yeah!

Yeah, oh, yeah!

Ooh, said I, I'm comin' back to look for you

Ooh, sit down, I'm goin' by the back door

Ooh, yeah

Ooh, yeah

Findin' my way!

You've done me no right

But you've done me some wrong

Left me lonely each night

While I sing my sad song

Look out! I'm comin', whoa, whoa

Look out! I'm comin', whoa, yeah

I'm runnin', findin' my way back home

I'm comin'

Ooh, babe, I said I'm runnin'

Whoa, babe, I said I'm comin' to get you, mama

Said I'm runnin'

Ooh, babe, I said I'm comin' for you, babe. I said I'm runnin'

Ooh, yes, babe, I said I'm comin' to get you, babe

I said I'm comin'

Ooh, yeah

I'm findin', I'm findin' my way back home

Well, I've had it for now, livin' on the road

Ooh, yeah

Ooh, yeah

Findin' my way!"

I could totally use some more of THAT on the next release.

QUOTE (mazyyz @ May 14 2007, 04:39 PM)
In the Kim Mitchell interview Geddy said Neil gave them the lyrics and they messed around with them for the S&A album. Mitchell asked again if they altered Neils original lyrics and Geddy said "yes." So although the foundation is Neil's, Geddy and Alex do play a role in the final product.

I think it works well. Neil delivers a pitch and Geddy and Alex have veto power. IMO rush would have been gone long ago if it weren't for Peart's lyrics.

QUOTE (trenken @ May 14 2007, 12:11 PM)

Geddy had some great lyrics in places on My Favorite Headache. I wouldn't mind if he and Neil shared lyricist duty. Alex...Alex can go compose the music arrangements and pick up sitar or ukelele or something.

QUOTE (Kudzu @ May 14 2007, 08:49 PM)
Geddy had some great lyrics in places on My Favorite Headache. I wouldn't mind if he and Neil shared lyricist duty. Alex...Alex can go compose the music arrangements and pick up sitar or ukelele or something.

spit6ph.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (mazyyz @ May 14 2007, 04:39 PM)

Geddy works (if you will) Neil's essays/short stories/personal bibles etc....

Archived