The Science Game

Moonraker

QUOTE (yiovis @ Jan 5 2005, 09:27 AM)
Ha!
What else are we gonna find here?!!!!!!!!!
rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

Moonraker's Name That Rush Tune....wait for the next one! wacko.gif wacko.gif wacko.gif

The element potassium can react with oxygen to form three different compounds, K2O (potassium oxide), K2O2 (potassium peroxide), and KO2 (potassium superoxide). It is known that under all possible reaction conditions, thse two elements will combine to form a mixture of either one or two of these compounds (but never all 3), and that any possible mixture of 2 products will include K2O2 (so you will never see a mixture of K2O and KO2).

When a 3.223g sample of potassium is mixed with excess oxygen and allowed to react, a total of 5.418g of solid material is produced. Using this information, determine which product or products are formed, and calculate the mass of each product.

unsure.gif fing.gif

Moon, I like questions like this, but I am completely farging useless at chemistry. laugh.gif ...I know some of the basics, but this question I have no idea where to start. I'm sure its probably quite easy wacko.gif

QUOTE (rickyrob @ Jan 26 2005, 11:27 PM)
unsure.gif fing.gif

Moon, I like questions like this, but I am completely farging useless at chemistry. laugh.gif ...I know some of the basics, but this question I have no idea where to start. I'm sure its probably quite easy wacko.gif

Actually its my final homework question, I was hoping someone could answer it for me before I get to it biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Jan 27 2005, 02:34 AM)
QUOTE (rickyrob @ Jan 26 2005, 11:27 PM)
unsure.gif  fing.gif

Actually its my final homework question, I was hoping someone could answer it for me before I get to it biggrin.gif

laugh.gif I do know a few basics.

I know that in some cases it can happen, but it seems strange that holding an element in rich oxygen can result in a compound that weighs more! wacko.gif

This means that the potassium element must aqcuire additional proton/protons to make it weigh more, after the reaction occurs. As to how this happens, what it aqcuires, or how to determine the masses....I'm stumped wacko.gif

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Jan 27 2005, 12:09 AM)
The element potassium can react with oxygen to form three different compounds, K2O (potassium oxide), K2O2 (potassium peroxide), and KO2 (potassium superoxide). It is known that under all possible reaction conditions, thse two elements will combine to form a mixture of either one or two of these compounds (but never all 3), and that any possible mixture of 2 products will include K2O2 (so you will never see a mixture of K2O and KO2).

When a 3.223g sample of potassium is mixed with excess oxygen and allowed to react, a total of 5.418g of solid material is produced. Using this information, determine which product or products are formed, and calculate the mass of each product.

I leaned this last in Chem 20.....but do I remember? hell no lol laugh.gif

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Jan 27 2005, 09:45 AM)
Actually I figured it out. BTW, you dont need to mess with protons or anything like that, the only thing you are working with is K and O.

OK ! rofl3.gif

laugh.gif

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Jan 26 2005, 11:09 PM)
The element potassium can react with oxygen to form three different compounds, K2O (potassium oxide), K2O2 (potassium peroxide), and KO2 (potassium superoxide).  It is known that under all possible reaction conditions, thse two elements will combine to form a mixture of either one or two of these compounds (but never all 3), and that any possible mixture of 2 products will include K2O2 (so you will never see a mixture of K2O and KO2).

When a 3.223g sample of potassium is mixed with excess oxygen and allowed to react, a total of 5.418g of solid material is produced.  Using this information, determine which product or products are formed, and calculate the mass of each product.

OK you guys are taking too long, you all officially lose tongue.gif

Products formed (with mass)

K2O2 - 1.526g

KO2 - 3.892g

Archived