Hold Your Fire

DoubleAgent420

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Dec 12 2004, 03:56 AM)
As I have said before, I'm a huge fan of HYF. Lyrically, its got be Open Secrets - that sends shivers down my spine.

The music alone on OS has that same effect on me. I always tend to nominate it as my fav song on HYF.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brilliant album, one of the strongest! At first it didn't live up to my high expectations, after Power Windows had blown my mind, but it sure has stood the test of time!

Personal favourites: Time Stand Still, Prime Mover. I have never quite managed to see how Mission can be such a classic for many!? It's a good song, OK, but...I don't know. maybe it's the synth sound in the opening? A 90's sound remake would probably give it more justice..Hey, that's not a bad idea! A remake album! Or have we just paid enough for different versions of Closer to the Heart now?

By the way, I sometimes do a public musical slide show with my photos from the many trips I've made to the biggest street festivals/carnivals around the world. I always close the show with High Water illustrated by slides from the Stockholm Water Festival. A great ending with a very fitting theme: Water and coming home. The end of the song is very effective, accompanying pictures from the fireworks over Stockholm, which always was an esential part of the festival: "Boom boom, The water takes me home...Take me home"...lights out.

The Companion

Companion,

"High Water" is definitely a fave of mine. I didn't take to it initially, but over time I found it to be a rather moving song.

HYF was an instant fav of mine the day it was released. I was surprised with the Aimee Mann vocals, but that grew on me.

With that typed, I must confess that it was an 8 track CD for me until a few years ago. I never took the time to get into Tai Shan and high Water. But now, I love them the same.

HYF has some of Neil's most inspiring lyrics, at least IMHO:

"I find no absolution

In my rational point of view

Maybe some things are instinctive

But there's one thing you could do

You could try to understand me --

I could try to understand you..."

"we don't want to be victims

on that we all agree

so we lock up the killer instinct --

and throw away the key..."

" a spirit with a vision

Is a dream with a mission..."

Such awesome posts on this thread. It's been so great to read what everyone has had to say. trink39.gif

Companion,

"High Water" is definitely a fave of mine. I didn't take to it initially, but over time I found it to be a rather moving song.

(This is an old post but I feel I have to comment.) This is definitely one of my favorites from the album. The music is awesome and so are the lyrics. Is there any other song out there that starts with the earth's pre-life Primordial Soup and goes through 1-1/2 billion years of evolution?