Drummers advice needed

rushfanNlv

So a really good friend of mine asks me to find him a cheap drum set to bang around on and see if he has any talent as a drummer so I do. I find him a cheap Pulse drum set on MF with all the hardware and some Planet Z symbols for $200.00. He get's the set and starts playing. One month later we start jamming and I start teaching him the very little I know about drums from watching my older brother. Before you know it were playing some AC/DC (we do a mean "Little Lover"), Joan Jett etc....easy stuff and he's keeping a beat. Three weeks go by before we jam again and when I show up, he's been practicing to The Eagles "The Long Run" and he's gotten much, much better. We rip into a "Those Shoes" and he is kicking ass!

Anyway, I told you that story to ask you this question: what can I suggest to him as upgrades to his shitty little set? He doesn't have much money to spend right now but I suggested a better bass drum pedal to him and maybe another symbol. What can he do to this cheap ass drum set to get the full potential our of it?

This is the set but the symbols are these ones.

Edited by rushfanNlv

Your advice for him to get a better bass drum pedal is good. I'd also advise he get one of the better thrones when he can. Roc-N-Soc, DW, and Pork Pie all make terrific ones (I have a Pork Pie and it's the most luxurious and plush throne I've ever seen). His back will thank him. Another good idea for a quick and cheap upgrade would be for him to get one of those clamp-on cymbal arms or a cymbal stacker and add a splash cymbal to his kit. As far as upgrading the rest of the kit goes, I'd just advise him to save his money and buy a better kit when he has enough.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Mar 2 2007, 03:46 PM)
Your advice for him to get a better bass drum pedal is good. I'd also advise he get one of the better thrones when he can. Roc-N-Soc, DW, and Pork Pie all make terrific ones (I have a Pork Pie and it's the most luxurious and plush throne I've ever seen). His back will thank him. Another good idea for a quick and cheap upgrade would be for him to get one of those clamp-on cymbal arms or a cymbal stacker and add a splash cymbal to his kit. As far as upgrading the rest of the kit goes, I'd just advise him to save his money and buy a better kit when he has enough.

Yeah, a new kit is in his future for sure. He's picking it up very well. This week we played some black crows, eagles and queen. He's really getting good for playing less than 3 months. He's not turning his head to the side while he plays yet but he does have this whole Joe Cocker thing going on. It's quite funny to watch.

So we've got a new bass drum pedal. What about heads? He's using the stock heads right now. Would a new set of skins improve tone? He's already itching for another symbol or two. He's progressing down the G.A.S. path.