The Northern Pikes

D-13

I'm loving these guys right now! The lead guitarist sounds a bit like Lifeson to me.

The Northern Pikes are a Canadian rock band formed in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan in 1984. The original members were Bryan Potvin, Jay Semko, Merl Bryck and Glen Hollingshead. Hollingshead left the band in 1985, and was replaced by Don Schmid in 1986.

After going on hiatus in 1993, the band reunited in 1999.

The Northern Pikes released two independent EPs before being signed to Virgin Records in 1986. Their first album for the label, Big Blue Sky, included "Teenland", the band's first significant hit.

Their 1990 album, Snow in June became their biggest seller in Canada and the US. That album's single, "She Ain't Pretty", was the band's biggest hit. An innovative music video for that song received heavy play on MuchMusic.

In 1992, the band released Neptune. After the tour to support that album, however, they announced their retirement as a group.

In 1999, Virgin asked the band members for their input on a "greatest hits" package. The band decided to do a short promotional tour following the release of Hits and Assorted Secrets, but found themselves enjoying the more relaxed independence of making their own schedule that they continued touring. They have since released three independent albums, including a live one aptly titled Live, with promises of more to come.

She Ain't Pretty

Hopes Go Astray

Girl With A Problem

Things I Do For Money

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoXrJ_bUKnk

I thought these guys were pretty good when they first hit the scene. Then they just kind of faded off someplace.

Archived