Opeth's The Baying of the Hounds sounds like Anthe

treeduck

Obviously the song as a whole sounds nothing like Anthem and is much longer and more complex. But just in the first part of the main riff it does sound like Anthem. Anyone else noticed this?

Fantastic song TBOTH is btw from a fantastic album...

Have listened to that album constantly since it came out a year or so ago, and I have to say that's never struck me. I'll have another listen and get back to you on that one....

And yes, I count GR as arguably the finest album of the last 10 years (up there with all of Devin Townsend's stuff, and VT, anyway!), and would be up there in my greatest of all time. It's quite simply stunning.

What do you think of Blackwater Park???? I reckon it's damn nearly as good, too.

QUOTE (Roddy @ Oct 24 2006, 08:06 PM)
Have listened to that album constantly since it came out a year or so ago, and I have to say that's never struck me. I'll have another listen and get back to you on that one....
And yes, I count GR as arguably the finest album of the last 10 years (up there with all of Devin Townsend's stuff, and VT, anyway!), and would be up there in my greatest of all time. It's quite simply stunning.
What do you think of Blackwater Park???? I reckon it's damn nearly as good, too.

Yeah Blackwater Park is my number 2 Opeth album, with Still Life coming in 3rd...

Haven't one of those guys left the band now?

Oh and the Anthem bit is just at the beginning of the main riff that starts the Hounds off, it doesn't return after, at least I don't think so...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Oct 24 2006, 08:16 PM)

Yeah Blackwater Park is my number 2 Opeth album, with Still Life coming in 3rd...

Oh and the Anthem bit is just at the beginning of the main riff that starts the Hounds off, it doesn't return after, at least I don't think so...

OK, I'll check it out and compare it to Anthem.

This may be for MOTS, but I'm only a recent convertee to the amazing music of Opeth. I've got GR, BP, Deliverance (which is also very good, but not quite up with those 2. The title track is incredible) and the 'chill out' album Damnation, which I absolutely love as well. Was gunna get My Arms Your Hearse next, but you reckon Still Life is a great album? And P2112 thinks Orchid!!!!

QUOTE (Roddy @ Oct 24 2006, 08:23 PM)

OK, I'll check it out and compare it to Anthem.

This may be for MOTS, but I'm only a recent convertee to the amazing music of Opeth. I've got GR, BP, Deliverance (which is also very good, but not quite up with those 2. The title track is incredible) and the 'chill out' album Damnation, which I absolutely love as well. Was gunna get My Arms Your Hearse next, but you reckon Still Life is a great album? And P2112 thinks Orchid!!!!

Yeah Still Life has a ton going on in it, with some cool melodic parts and tunes as well as the high flying mania...

QUOTE (andy @ Oct 24 2006, 09:05 PM)
Honestly, I don't think it really sounds like it. Although TBOTH is a great song, and Ghost Reveries is my second favorite Opeth album, behind Still Life.

No the song as a whole sounds nothing like it...

It's just the opening riff of Anthem and the first part of the opening riff of Hounds sound similar...

Was gunna get My Arms Your Hearse next, but you reckon Still Life is a great album? And P2112 thinks Orchid!!!!

just get them both, they're both amazing. yes.gif I also suggest My Arms, Your Hearse as well.

Both Orchid and Still Life are great. And I agree, both have alot going on in them. Lots of transitions from death metal to acoustic metal.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Oct 24 2006, 02:36 PM)
Obviously the song as a whole sounds nothing like Anthem and is much longer and more complex. But just in the first part of the main riff it does sound like Anthem. Anyone else noticed this?

I've listened to it a few times in a row now, and I'm not getting it, to be totally honest. There's a vague similarity there, but it ain't leaping out at me! Sorry mate!!

QUOTE (Roddy @ Oct 25 2006, 08:40 AM)

I've listened to it a few times in a row now, and I'm not getting it, to be totally honest. There's a vague similarity there, but it ain't leaping out at me! Sorry mate!!

Well it's just a little flavour right at the beginning the actual whole song is not in the same country even otherwise...

Opeth rules. I made friends with them back in 2001 when I filmed some of their shows and kept in contact with a couple of them over the years.

Michael let me and my wife listen to Damnation before it was released.

They are amazing. I was a never a big fan of Cookie Monster vocals, but it doens't matter with them because they rule. biggrin.gif

It's funny, I have alot of friends that dislike Cookie Monster vocals, but they all listen to Opeth. rofl3.gif

It's a shame the drummer quit.

QUOTE (wayshway @ Oct 25 2006, 05:33 PM)
Opeth rules. I made friends with them back in 2001 when I filmed some of their shows and kept in contact with a couple of them over the years.

They are amazing. I was a never a big fan of Cookie Monster vocals, but it doens't matter with them because they rule. biggrin.gif

It's funny, I have alot of friends that dislike Cookie Monster vocals, but they all listen to Opeth. rofl3.gif

It's a shame the drummer quit.

I was the same as regards the "cookie monster" vocals but as you say it works great in their music especially as a counterpoint to the "clean" vocals...

I'm doubting this very much, since you can't even spell the man's name right....

QUOTE (Roddy @ Oct 25 2006, 08:16 PM)

I'm doubting this very much, since you can't even spell the man's name right....

http://neoliquid.com/pwn3d.gif

Blackwater Park is tied with Morningrise as my favourite.

Morningrise, folks? Great album or what?

Does it really matter if I spell it right or not? Or are you just jealous? Maybe you're psychic since you seem to know so much about my personal life.

I don't even know why I'm wasting my time replying to morons like you that have nothing better to do than attack other board members you know nothing about. I hate stupid people like you and stupidity should be painful.

I've always thought that BOTH was an obvious Deep Purple pastiche. I mean, the rythmic Hammond and all... I'll go listen to it to compare to Anthem...

BTW, I was fairly disappointed by Ghost Reveries. It has no soul for me. Just a technical excercise. Blackwater Park and Deliverance were far better. IMHO.

I don't doubt that. If you wanna see the biggest Rush ripoff ever (besides tribute bands) check out Tiles from Trenton, MI. They have gone to Toronto for their last several albums utlizing Terry Brown and also Hughe Syme. Unfortunately, they have no energy on stage and haven't really done much besides a short European tour with DT on their Metropolis 2 pre-tour. They are on Magna Carta Records...

QUOTE (wayshway @ Oct 31 2006, 06:16 AM)

Does it really matter if I spell it right or not? Or are you just jealous? Maybe you're psychic since you seem to know so much about my personal life.

I don't even know why I'm wasting my time replying to morons like you that have nothing better to do than attack other board members you know nothing about. I hate stupid people like you and stupidity should be painful.

:-)

You're funny!

Archived