Douglas Coupland appreciation thread

barney_rebel

Generation X -- I heard during a talk on generations last year that Copeland meant for the title to be pronounced "Ten" - roman numeral ten--the 10th major generation studied--but that the media interpreted it as the letter "x" and thus an entire generation was named. Or mis-named. I haven't been able to verify this information any other place, and wonder if Copeland has ever addressed the issue. ????

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Apr 19 2007, 11:33 AM)
QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Apr 19 2007, 12:15 PM)
I am just about finished "Hey Nostradaumus!"

What a bizarre, but awesome story!

Pretty interesting timing on reading that one considering it's about a school massacre...

Honestly made me want to finish this book even faster.

Read:

Shampoo Planet

Generation X

Life After God

Girlfriend in a Coma

Microserfs

JPod: A Novel

Liked Microserfs the best, Girlfriend in a Coma was thought proking and a really good read..

Did NOT like Jpod! WAY too much expectation after reading Microserfs. Found Jpod to be a real let down. Whereas I read Microserfs several times over the years. Do not see myself rereading Jpod!

QUOTE (edmondy @ Apr 19 2007, 08:55 PM)
Read:

Shampoo Planet
Generation X
Life After God
Girlfriend in a Coma
Microserfs
JPod: A Novel

Liked Microserfs the best, Girlfriend in a Coma was thought proking and a really good read..

Did NOT like Jpod! WAY too much expectation after reading Microserfs. Found Jpod to be a real let down. Whereas I read Microserfs several times over the years. Do not see myself rereading Jpod!

I bought JPod because it sounded good, but after skimming through it, it didn't look that great. I'll start it next though.

The 400+ pages is deceiving... a lot of graphics and big fonts.

QUOTE (edmondy @ Apr 19 2007, 09:03 PM)
If you haven't read Microserfs. I would get it and read it. VERY VERY funny and a great read! Plus you can get it for a very good price now.

Yeah gonna borrow it from my brother.

I also have his Terry Fox and Souvenir of Canada books. I haven't read them yet though.

The Terry Fox book has a Rush mention.

I would agree with those that highly recommend Microserfs. I also vastly enjoyed "All Families are Psychotic".

The ones I read are:

Microserfs

Generation X

Souvenir of Canada

All Families are Psychotic

It's been a while I'll have to pick up one of his newer ones.

I also met him at a reading / book singing at the National Archives of Canada a couple years back and he's a really nice guy and AMAZING reader.

msn_sheep.png

Coupland's the watermark for dramatic Gen X writers....him and Ellis and Mcinerney.

Gen X was his magnum opus. Hard to live down the success of a first novel like that.

Jpod was his worst. Yuck.

All Families Psychotic, Microserfs, Shampoo Planet, Polaroids from the Dead - very good stuff. Coma, Eleanor, Life after God and Wyoming - to a lesser degree.

Finished his newest The Gum Thief a month or two ago. Best since Shampoo I think.

Edited by Van Squalen