What would be the best system?

Der Trommler

Well, I have a computer that is an 11 bay tower with a floppy, DVD, DVD burner, cdrw, 80 gib harddrive....Heres the real pain:

The computer was built 6 years ago for recording. I never got the damn thing to actually record....I have a really slow video card & the processor (Athlon) is 850mhz. The soundcard is Live Platinum....

So, question is...Do I upgrade what I got or get a whole new computer? If so, what recommendations?

ahem...

NEW COMPUTER

that is all. eh.gif

QUOTE (LakesideMaiden @ Jun 9 2006, 03:24 AM)
ahem...

NEW COMPUTER

that is all. eh.gif

doh.gif

QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Jun 9 2006, 01:23 AM)
Well, I have a computer that is an 11 bay tower with a floppy, DVD, DVD burner, cdrw, 80 gib harddrive....Heres the real pain:
The computer was built 6 years ago for recording. I never got the damn thing to actually record....I have a really slow video card & the processor (Athlon) is 850mhz. The soundcard is Live Platinum....

So, question is...Do I upgrade what I got or get a whole new computer? If so, what recommendations?

It was built for recording and it still wouldn't record? Is recording the primary reason you want to upgrade it now? I bought a cheap E Machine 3 or 4 years ago and I had problems recording tracks onto it but that was understandable. The computer wasn't set-up for it. I've since switched to a stand alone digital recorder for tracking and will probably only use a computer for mixing and mastering. I'm not much of a techie so I just chose the option that would present the least amount of obstacles to completing my projects.

QUOTE (Three Eyes @ Jun 10 2006, 03:53 PM)
QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Jun 9 2006, 01:23 AM)

It was built for recording and it still wouldn't record? Is recording the primary reason you want to upgrade it now? I bought a cheap E Machine 3 or 4 years ago and I had problems recording tracks onto it but that was understandable. The computer wasn't set-up for it. I've since switched to a stand alone digital recorder for tracking and will probably only use a computer for mixing and mastering. I'm not much of a techie so I just chose the option that would present the least amount of obstacles to completing my projects.

part of the problem was the windows operating system. I kept changing to keep up & none of the series (ME, 2000 NT, millenium, etc....)

I've never had luck with it...now the video card is SLOOOOOOOOW & the audio works pretty good...the processor feels like dial up

NOOOOOO!!!!!

If it is 6 years old, I would build a new one. If for no othe reason, just the fact that the video cards are going to pci-express type (I doubt yours even has >2x AGP if it is 6 years old). pic-express type video cards will require a new motherboard.

Also, if your Motherboard is >6 years old it probably uses the old slower PC133 memory, and I imagine your CPU is pretty out dated as well by now.

If you are not tech savy enough to build one (buying the MB, memory, CPU, case, etc and puting it together), then I would check out Dell's site.

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Jun 10 2006, 08:13 PM)
If it is 6 years old, I would build a new one. If for no othe reason, just the fact that the video cards are going to pci-express type (I doubt yours even has >2x AGP if it is 6 years old). pic-express type video cards will require a new motherboard.

Also, if your Motherboard is >6 years old it probably uses the old slower PC133 memory, and I imagine your CPU is pretty out dated as well by now.

If you are not tech savy enough to build one (buying the MB, memory, CPU, case, etc and puting it together), then I would check out Dell's site.

Thanks! biggrin.gif I have a Dell laptop that kicks the crap out of my desktop. I was trying to figure out what is the best option when I do have $$ for the desktop trink39.gif

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Jun 10 2006, 08:13 PM)

Well, I'm ok at Windows but to physically put a computer together, I could do.....

Yeah, your much better off just buying a new machine. Computers are so cheap nowdays. But you should realize that when it comes to audio recording, the computer isn't all you need to make good recordings. It only records what 'you put into it'. There is a host of external gear that also should be purchased, if you want to make good recordings that is!

With that in mind, the computer is the absolute cheapest part of the entire system!!

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jun 11 2006, 03:33 PM)
Yeah, your much better off just buying a new machine. Computers are so cheap nowdays. But you should realize that when it comes to audio recording, the computer isn't all you need to make good recordings. It only records what 'you put into it'. There is a host of external gear that also should be purchased, if you want to make good recordings that is!
With that in mind, the computer is the absolute cheapest part of the entire system!!

Yeah...Thanks!! I used to sell musical equipment. So, I've got a little bit of info on that....I'm probably going to go with a digital recorder that uses a USB into the computer....Still looking for what I'm going to do.....One computer is slow. The other can't use the internet explorer....

QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Jun 11 2006, 12:42 PM)
I'm probably going to go with a digital recorder that uses a USB into the computer

You really want something that has 'Firewire'. USB will give you too much latency in your recording and editing.

This is such a broad topic with unlimited possibilites. You need to decide exactly what you are wanting to accomplish, figure out your budget, then do tons of reseach to buy just the right gear for the money you have.

Just another point: A 'good,quality' computer recording system can run you thousands and thousands of dollars (like $2000-$8000).

You might just want to look into a 'stand alone' digital recorder. There are some real nice 16-24 track machines out there that have all the bells and whistles already built-in. And they can run as little as $1200 !

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jun 11 2006, 03:52 PM)
Just another point: A 'good,quality' computer recording system can run you thousands and thousands of dollars (like $2000-$8000).
You might just want to look into a 'stand alone' digital recorder. There are some real nice 16-24 track machines out there that have all the bells and whistles already built-in. And they can run as little as $1200 !

Yup....Thanks, forgot about the firewire.....I used to sell all that. I remember many that will do me fine....still need a good computer system, though

QUOTE (Three Eyes @ Jun 12 2006, 05:09 AM)
Here's a hot seller for $999. A couple of years ago it was going for $1200.

Tascam 2488 Multitrack Digital Recorder (24 Tracks, 24 Bit)
http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-TAS-2488.html

Thanks...Roland had cornered the market for a while....

That Tascam is ok for the price. Korg and Yamaha make better machines for just a bit more, and their preamps are better.

Roland recorders compress the data for smaller files for the most part. Avoid this at all cost!

Like I said, you really need to do some homework, but ask yourself these questions.

1) What is my final goal with these recordings? (are they just for personal use, demo, or mabey for print)

2) What external gear do you own to accompany the recorder?

3) What is your budget?

4) Are you willing to buy at least 1 great microphone and preamp to get the quality up?

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jun 12 2006, 02:44 PM)
That Tascam is ok for the price. Korg and Yamaha make better machines for just a bit more, and their preamps are better.
Roland recorders compress the data for smaller files for the most part. Avoid this at all cost!
Like I said, you really need to do some homework, but ask yourself these questions.
1) What is my final goal with these recordings? (are they just for personal use, demo, or mabey for print)
3) What is your budget?
4) Are you willing to buy at least 1 great microphone and preamp to get the quality up?

Thanks...I agree with that. I was hoping to get more info on the computer stuff itself....

QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Jun 12 2006, 12:09 PM)
QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jun 12 2006, 02:44 PM)
3) What is your budget?

Thanks...I agree with that. I was hoping to get more info on the computer stuff itself....

Well, your initial question was about computer based recording but it didn't seem like you really knew what you might be getting yourself into! So I thought I would give my 2 cents.

Ya know, computers are computers, they all do the same thing. If you want a dedicated computer for recording (which is the only way to go), you need to invest tons of money! If you want a computer that is 'multi-function' to record music, then thats a different story. Meaning, this computer can be used as an 'extra' for your studio recordings, plus perform your everyday functions (internet, email, ect...).

If the multi-function computer is what you want, then just order a Dell, with a 3+Ghz processor, 1+ GB RAM, and a 200+GB hard drive. Dual Core processor if possible. Then buy a bunch of audio software so you can 'manipulate' your recordings into what they should be.

That's my best advise, aside from going into specifics about components.

That's why I said you should just get a digital multi-track, and use the computer to enhance the final product.

Granted, the recorder only will record what you pump into it, meaning you still need good mics, preamps and instruments!

Hope this helps wink.gif

Thanks, Launch.....also, what sound/video cards would you recommend? I have the latest back from 2000 but it is 2006...a little outdated & running pretty damn slow....

QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Jun 12 2006, 12:26 PM)
QUOTE (Three Eyes @ Jun 12 2006, 05:09 AM)
Here's a hot seller for $999. A couple of years ago it was going for $1200.

Tascam 2488 Multitrack Digital Recorder (24 Tracks, 24 Bit)
http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-TAS-2488.html

Thanks...Roland had cornered the market for a while....

The Teac Corporation owns Tascam.

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jun 12 2006, 01:44 PM)

I own the tascam 24/88 but truthfully haven't put it through its paces yet with a big project. My aims are good sounding demos, not cd releases but if the songs come out sounding good enough for me and my style of music then who knows? I have an MAudio DMP3 Preamp, a Studio Projects C1 condensor mic and a DBX 160A compressor. Not high end gear to be sure but they all had good pro and user reviews in consideration of their prices. Sorry for the hijackery but just thought that since Tascam was mentioned kind of unfavorably I'd pipe up.

QUOTE (Three Eyes @ Jun 14 2006, 01:32 AM)
QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jun 12 2006, 01:44 PM)

I own the tascam 24/88 but truthfully haven't put it through its paces yet with a big project. My aims are good sounding demos, not cd releases but if the songs come out sounding good enough for me and my style of music then who knows? I have an MAudio DMP3 Preamp, a Studio Projects C1 condensor mic and a DBX 160A compressor. Not high end gear to be sure but they all had good pro and user reviews in consideration of their prices. Sorry for the hijackery but just thought that since Tascam was mentioned kind of unfavorably I'd pipe up.

Three Eyes, you have all you need to make a good recording. Especially the 160, it is used in studios all over the world with great results. I have 2-166's and wouldn't trade them for the world. The C1 is a great mic for a mic in that price range.

I didn't say anything bad about the Tascam 24/88, I have used them and know what they can do. They are just fine for many applications.

Archived