Cult Sci-fi TV Shows

rickyrob

There were a couple of (kinda) chintzy sci-fi shows that aired on Saturday mornings, during the run of cartoons. One show was Space Academy - featuring Commander Chris Gentry and Tee-Gar. Can't say I remember much about it, but I had those two action figures. Later came Jason of Star Command, featuring Jason and Nicole... and actor James Doohan ("Scotty" on Star Trek) also had a role. Both shows were produced by Filmation, and they utilized some of the same sets.

I'm becoming a fan of a series with a cult following: Firefly. I recently borrowed the "complete series" DVDs from my brother-in-law, and I'm enjoying them as I slowly make my way through the episodes. I could say a lot about this interesting show, but I'll save it for a thread of its own. wink.gif

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Jul 25 2006, 08:44 PM)
Two shows I vaguely remember as a kid are 'Sky' and 'Children Of The Stones'. I remember thinking they were the strangest and most compelling things on TV.

I also loved the 'Battle Of The Planets' cartoons.

They revamped Battle of the Planets/G-Force they call it Gatachaman.

Its all right a few things were changed their look was updated a bit also the the Character that talked in code now speaks fine.

I would love to get the US oringal on DVD.

I loved Battle of the Planets, too! My friend and I used to dress-up and pretend we were Mark and Jason. The animation from that show was actually used in a few different shows - the American "Battle of the Planets" was the second, I think. It had previously been used in Japan, and would be again. (American animators added some scenes; you'll notice occassional texture differences, like when Mark and Princess pay visits to 7-Zark-7. Those scenes are American.)

I always liked how the characters - Mark, Jason, Princess, Keyop, and Tiny - each had their own unique vehicle, and each had their own different weapon.

The last time I looked (about two years ago), the series was available on tape... but to collect the entire series, you'd have to spend an arm and a leg! Each tape contains two episodes, and runs about $10. (I think producer Sandy Frank sells them himself, and is making a nice profit.)

http://www.vacuform.com/Gatchaman/Versions/teamg1.jpg

http://www.vacuform.com/Gatchaman/Versions/kntg.jpg

Edited by GeddyRulz

All this talk about "Battle of the Planets" has reminded me of another animated space series I was into for a year... Star Blazers. The episodes were 30 minutes (just like any other show), but the stories were on-going, like a soap opera. You really had to catch each episode after school, or you could get lost. Good show.

http://www.starblazers.com/images/gallery_images/7.jpg

The central character was Derek, the rookie pilot in the lower left corner. Other characters I recall: Mark, Sandor, Nova, Starsha, Dr. Sane, and the captain, who'd perish of old age during the mission.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jul 26 2006, 05:22 AM)
I loved Battle of the Planets, too! My friend and I used to dress-up and pretend we were Mark and Jason. The animation from that show was actually used in a few different shows - the American "Battle of the Planets" was the second, I think. It had previously been used in Japan, and would be again. (American animators added some scenes; you'll notice occassional texture differences, like when Mark and Princess pay visits to 7-Zark-7. Those scenes are American.)

I always liked how the characters - Mark, Jason, Princess, Keyop, and Tiny - each had their own unique vehicle, and each had their own different weapon.

The last time I looked (about two years ago), the series was available on tape... but to collect the entire series, you'd have to spend an arm and a leg! Each tape contains two episodes, and runs about $10. (I think producer Sandy Frank sells them himself, and is making a nice profit.)

http://www.vacuform.com/Gatchaman/Versions/teamg1.jpg

http://www.vacuform.com/Gatchaman/Versions/kntg.jpg

Gatchaman is great. Science ninjas! laugh.gif

I've been doing a little research/reading on the subject of Gatchaman and Battle of the Planets since posting earlier. It sounds like the original Japanese Gatchaman is far superior.
  • Gatchaman was more violent, and geared more towards a mature audience. It had more conflict, and thus more drama.
  • In Gatchaman, the "Jason" character (then called Joe) gradually succumbs to a brain tumor; first come episodes where he's dizzy, then unable to stand straight, etc. Knowing he's only got a short time to live, he makes a bold solo attack on the enemy and is tortured. He eventually dies. (Killing off a major character! The drama!)
  • The "Zoltar" character, in Gatchaman, is actually a hermaphrodite. There's a hint of this in Battle of the Planets, when rumors start that Zoltar may be a girl.
  • Gatchaman's violence and adult themes were cut for BOTP. These scenes were replaced with scenes of the campy R2-D2 rip-off, 7-Zark-7, and his robot dog, 1-Rover-1. Zark is a placating parental figure - always telling the child viewer that "Everything's okay; nobody was hurt." There was no such character in the original Gatchaman. Likewise, the American animators added scenes of our heroes (in their civilian clothes) relaxing in a recreation room - playing ping-pong, listening to music, and eating "space burgers." In Gatchaman, this never happened.
  • Overall, Gatchaman sounds more dramatic - with more conflict between the characters, more violence, and the gradual demise of a troubled but beloved main character.
Edited by GeddyRulz

I've never known it as Battle of the Planets, only Kagaku ninja tai Gatchaman from when I got into anime as kid and had bootleg copies of it subtitled on tape. I never knew it was heavily edited like that. They do the same thing with Dragon Ball Z, but that still sucks no matter how uncut it is.

Gatchaman at amazon

I don't have those, but there's always previews for it on other anime DVDs.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jul 26 2006, 06:40 AM)
All this talk about "Battle of the Planets" has reminded me of another animated space series I was into for a year... Star Blazers.  The episodes were 30 minutes (just like any other show), but the stories were on-going, like a soap opera.  You really had to catch each episode after school, or you could get lost.  Good show.

http://www.starblazers.com/images/gallery_images/7.jpg

The central character was Derek, the rookie pilot in the lower left corner.  Other characters I recall:  Mark, Sandor, Nova, Starsha, Dr. Sane, and the captain, who'd perish of old age during the mission.

I Love This Show!!!!!!!!!!

I think he died of Space sickness??

I loved the Space Jets

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/batman2112/starblazer_tiger1009l.gif

I skipped 7th Period math for a semster just so I could get home in time to see it.

Edited by Batman

QUOTE (freewill71 @ Dec 3 2005, 06:38 PM)
Great picture there Slaine -- that was one of the best series -- my top favorie of all time -- shame it had to end sad.gif
I grew up on Buck Rodgers -- Battlestar Galactica and Star Trek -- with all  the technicial stuff they do now -- they just don't seem to get the Chemistry those shows had -- Babylon 5 has been the only one IMO 

Anyone remember The Man from Atlantis's with Patrick Duffy?

I vaguely remember that one -- my Mom use to watch it -- think she had a crush on Duffy wub.gif lol

OMG...I HAD a crush on Patrick Duffy in 'Man from Atlantis' of course I was only in the 1st grade at the time....but way to make me feel OLD.

And I have to agree....'RED DWARF' Best one yet!! 1022.gif

Edited by Alien Girl