Rush live in Montreal 1984 - questions...

Timbale

So I recently watched a bunch of this Grace Under Pressure bootleg from Montreal...which is a couple months before the Toronto show that was filmed (my first ever Rush show!). It is super dark and grainy...but doesn't sound too bad...

I noticed two things watching it -

1) The count Floyd intro to The Weapon is different from the intro that is on the afore mentioned P/G tour video.  Why do you think that is?  Do you think the intro at the Toronto show actually WAS the same as the Montreal show, but they changed it in post?  (All of the shots of the projections on the p/g concert film seem to be superimposed above them.  I always imagined that the filming of the rear projection looked really bad and that's the best fix they could come up with.). The strange thing about the count Floyd intro is that it isn't really different in any interesting or substantial way...it's almost like it's Joe Flaherty's second take or something...

2) There were rear projections for Red Lenses!  I had no memory of that...and the video is so dark you can't make out what they are.  Does anyone here remember what the imagery for Red Lenses was?!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Brava Doh! said:

I always assumed they did two or three takes for Count Floyd's intro to that song, and they just used them all.

You mean just rotated the different takes for different shows?

1 hour ago, Brava Doh! said:

Yeah.

I just can't imagine why they would do that...it would add to the work load to swap out (back in '84) ACTUAL film clips from show to show.  I'm not arguing with you..it just seems like an odd choice.  I could more see it on the last few tours, because it's all just digital.  But to my knowledge on the last tours, the vids were all the same for different cities...

On 7/5/2023 at 3:23 PM, Timbale said:

You mean just rotated the different takes for different shows?

I've always wondered about this myself.  My guess is they swapped takes after the tour breaks.

• Like 1