Neil Peart: An Introduction to his Drumming Style - Book Preview

Jag2112

On 4/7/2023 at 1:44 PM, Jag2112 said:

Drummer and blogger Francesco Vecchio published a detailed book on Neil's drumming style.  You can check out a an extensive exerpt at the following link:

Neil Peart: An Introduction to His Drumming Style

Enjoy-

I'm interested in this...but there were a couple red flags right away:

"Neil Peart is acknowledged as one of the greatest drummers of all time. The impact he had on the drumming community was huge. He inspired a generation of drummers and is still a formative influence. He was nicknamed “The Professor” for his musicality, precision and accuracy on the drums."

I believe he was referred to as Professor as a joke by the other two guys because his head was buried in books on those early tours.  A small thing, maybe...but it reeks of a kind of fandom/worship that is not objective.

Similarly: "Creativity, perfectionism and a huge sense of timing are some unforgettable aspects of his drumming."  

I'm not sure what exactly he means by "a huge sense of timing"...but it makes me think of those memes "metronomes set their tempo by Neil Peart", which is just such a f**king silly thing.  Anyone who has actually listened to live recordings while not wearing their Farewell To Kings tee shirt can easily hear that tempo was NOT one of Neil's strong suits for many, many years.  He got there eventually....but jesus, the amount of great drummers who had an amazing sense of tempo...Neil's not the guy to look to.  Again, it just kinda feels like fan service.  And if that's only in the first 2 paragraphs of the thing, I don't know....