Zathura

rushgoober

I generally am not into "kids movies," but this one was

a: not animated

b: not a musical

c: science-fictiony

d: had generally pretty good reviews

so i took a chance. It was actually VERY well done - not an amazing deeply memorable movie, but as an adult who hates kids movies, I quite enjoyed it.

FYI...

Edited by rushgoober

This move goes along with Jumangi, I loved that one so I hope Zathura can stand up to it. Thanks Goob!

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Nov 13 2005, 06:16 PM)
never heard of it.

outta curiosity, what do u consider a KIDS MOVIE? do u think these are kid flicks?:
iron giant
the incredibles
wizard of oz
goonies
the sandlot
toy story

i don't really generally like animated movies, especially when they're musicals, and i generally don't like movies that are designed pretty much exclusively for kids.

of the ones you mentioned, i've only seen toy story and the wizard of oz. i think i saw toy story because it was one of the (if not the) first movie made completely with computer animation. it was good for what it was, but isn't really my thing. the wizard of oz i think is a pretty remarkable creation, espcially considering it was made in 1939! that being said, it's not something i go out of my way to see, but i've seen it on tv a few times - almost never the whole thing at once, usually just bits and pieces. i more respect the wizard of oz than enjoy it.

I look forward to seeing this movie yes.gif

Being a mom of a 12 year old daughter..I have seen EVERY Disney movie known to man I think biggrin.gif

From Winnie the Pooh to Hilary Duff..I've seen em all..some even twice tongue.gif

FINALLY she is at an age to see more 'adult-like' movies applaudit.gif

BTW..The Wizard of Oz is on TV right now yes.gif

Your missing out on The Sandlot and The Goonies, classics in their own rights. I do prefer The Sandlot more than The Goonies though. I didnt care for Iron Man and The Incredibles was ok. Hercules was pretty funny and remains one of my favorite cartoons ever. There are some really good kids movies out there you just got to find the right ones. Go to the video store and pick up The Sandlot as I am sure its in the $1 section.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 13 2005, 10:23 PM)
never heard of it. 

outta curiosity, what do u consider a KIDS MOVIE?  do u think these are kid flicks?: 
iron giant
the incredibles
wizard of oz
goonies
the sandlot
toy story

i don't really generally like animated movies, especially when they're musicals, and i generally don't like movies that are designed pretty much exclusively for kids.

of the ones you mentioned, i've only seen toy story and the wizard of oz. i think i saw toy story because it was one of the (if not the) first movie made completely with computer animation. it was good for what it was, but isn't really my thing. the wizard of oz i think is a pretty remarkable creation, espcially considering it was made in 1939! that being said, it's not something i go out of my way to see, but i've seen it on tv a few times - almost never the whole thing at once, usually just bits and pieces. i more respect the wizard of oz than enjoy it.

Your a floyd fan and you've never done the DSOTM and Wizard of Oz sync?

QUOTE (pixey @ Nov 13 2005, 08:27 PM)
Your missing out on The Sandlot and The Goonies, classics in their own rights. I do prefer The Sandlot more than The Goonies though. I didnt care for Iron Man and The Incredibles was ok. Hercules was pretty funny and remains one of my favorite cartoons ever. There are some really good kids movies out there you just got to find the right ones. Go to the video store and pick up The Sandlot as I am sure its in the $1 section.

i think i saw part of the goonies years ago on tv, but i really don't recall. at my wife's insistence (a true lover of kids movies) i saw the sandlot a couple/few years back. i can't remember too much about it which would indicate to me that it wasn't very personally memorable - i remember thinking it was ok.

QUOTE (endlesslymocking @ Nov 13 2005, 09:00 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 13 2005, 10:23 PM)
never heard of it. 

outta curiosity, what do u consider a KIDS MOVIE?  do u think these are kid flicks?: 
iron giant
the incredibles
wizard of oz
goonies
the sandlot
toy story

Your a floyd fan and you've never done the DSOTM and Wizard of Oz sync?

mocking, i've ALMOST done this so many times, but it just never has happened. even my wife is open to trying the wizard of oz/DSOTM thing but for some reason I think the concept of it is more interesting than actually doing it - one of these days i'll likely give it a shot...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 14 2005, 12:23 PM)
never heard of it. 

iron giant
the incredibles
wizard of oz
goonies
the sandlot
toy story

i'm not even sure the movies i mentioned are kids movies or not. they were just the first movies that came to mind. and i really like (or love) all of them. toy story 2 i thought was at least as good as the first...which is a rarity with sequels. as far as the wizard of oz is concerned, it's gotta be somewhere in my all time top 5 movies...it's got (almost) all the ingredients of the perfect movie: drama, horror, violence, drugs, and MIDGETS!

goob, what about musicals in general?

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Nov 14 2005, 05:11 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 14 2005, 12:23 PM)
never heard of it. 

iron giant
the incredibles
wizard of oz
goonies
the sandlot
toy story

i'm not even sure the movies i mentioned are kids movies or not. they were just the first movies that came to mind. and i really like (or love) all of them. toy story 2 i thought was at least as good as the first...which is a rarity with sequels. as far as the wizard of oz is concerned, it's gotta be somewhere in my all time top 5 movies...it's got (almost) all the ingredients of the perfect movie: drama, horror, violence, drugs, and MIDGETS!

goob, what about musicals in general?

it's rare that i like a musical. i loved grease, but that might have had something to do with the fact that i was 9 when it came out. if it came out today and i wasn't already familiar with it, i don't know how i'd feel about it. chicago was very well done, so was moulin rouge, but for me even when a musical is extremely well made like those movies, i enjoy them, but i don't ever have an urge to see them again. the only ones i can recall wanting to see more than once was fame and all that jazz - i guess movies that have intensely serious stories.

i guess i like reality, which is why i have a hard time getting into animated movies - i can admire the artistry behind them, but i can't seem to ever get it out of my head that i'm watching a cartoon and it's hard for me to relate to the characters when they're not real people performing - i can't seem to buy into the illusion. the only way i can enjoy it is if it's WILDLY entertaining throughout, like the first Shrek was - it has to be absolutely hilarious for me to be able overcome the fact that it's a cartoon. i loved cartoons as a kid, but now i rarely watch them, and only if their really hilarious like ren & stimpy or the occasional spongebob episode or simpsons episode - cartoons that are made with adults in mind.

musicals bug me because it's like people are having a conversation and things are going along just fine, and all of the sudden people start breaking out into song and dancing and the reality/believability factor just gets thrown out the window for me. i know it's just a style, and of coure the story is being conveyed through the music, but it just annoys me. i must have sat through 10 musicals when my sister was in high school to be there in support of her, but man they were usually pretty tedious and all of those old musicals had the exact same story (male and female character - highly unlikely they will get together and in the end they get together. male and female supporting characters, and the same thing with them). when you add animation and musicals together, two genres i'm generally not crazy about, it leaves me extremely cold.

sorry if anyone disagrees, just my opinion.

it's all good goob. it doesn't matter (to me) if your opinion differs from others. i think i've disagreed with you a few times before about your viewing tastes. especially reality tv shows!!! i hate those f**kin' programs! to me they're so far from reality it's funny. but what do i know? i eat french fries with chopsticks. wink.gif