Super Group of 80's Metal Gods

Necromancer

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Sep 30 2005, 12:00 AM)
QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Sep 29 2005, 10:09 PM)
Loudness - the Japanese metal band.  Great stuff.

Scorpions rock too!

YES!!! Akira was considerd for my lead slot, but as amazing as he is, he seems to do the same thing on all the albums. I had some of the Japanese imports, and though he boggles the mind, imo he wouldn't fit into the confines of a supergroup. Much like Yngwie Malmsteen. So are you saying that your version of this supergroup would be members of Loudness and members of Scorpions? Who would you have where?

I would probably pick Scorpions, but I really liked how Loudness never made it big here but they rocked out east.

Soldier of Fortune totally kicked major ass.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 1 2005, 01:33 PM)
i was WAY into heavy metal in the early to mid 80's, but most of the groups i loved comprised of people that had been around since the 70's and they don't qualify, so I guess I can't play...

fists crying.gif fists crying.gif fists crying.gif

Kazz is starting a thread for Symphonic Metal, I got the speed and eighties threads and another for people who can't stop picking Randy and Cliff called the DEAD THREAD. Goobs... you can start the old guys from the seventies that are near DEAD THREAD. rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

Seriously... go ahead and start that one. Or a poll if that would suit you better. wink.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Oct 1 2005, 02:15 PM)
QUOTE (ES-335 @ Oct 1 2005, 01:50 PM)
Randy Rhodes... Lead Guitar  (no doubt on this one)
Steve Harris... Bass (amazing right hand)
Nicko Mc Brian ... Drums (althouhg like Kazz stated, Dave Lombardo is up there, amazing feet)
Vocals? ... this is my toughest one, I loved many of the vocalists of this era, IMHO, the vocalist in 80s metal was the hardest piece of the puzzle. I worked in a Metal band for about 5 yearsin the 80s, we always had great drumers, guitarists (me smile.gif ) and bassists ... the hard part was finding someone to handle the power and range that was needed for 80s metal,  Halford, Ozzy, Dio, Vince Neil, Joe Lynn Turner, pearcy, Marc Storace (Krokus),  Klaus Meine ....

But, if there was one that I could chose, it would have to choose Bruce Dickinson

So ... basically it would be Iron Maiden with Randy Rhodes!!  smile.gif

PICK AGAIN!!! Randy's dead so he's excluded from this thread. Read the statutes governing the thread. LOL. The idea is that this band would need to record an album and tour. Unless Randy's greatness could supercede the boundries of DEATH, this can't happen. Otherwise i agree. Choose another lead guitarist.

Oops ... I didn't know the tread was being governed LOL!! biggrin.gif

ok ... I will pick Dave Murray & Adrian Smith just to round out the whole Iron Madien theme. cool.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Oct 1 2005, 03:15 PM)
QUOTE (ES-335 @ Oct 1 2005, 01:50 PM)
Randy Rhodes... Lead Guitar  (no doubt on this one)
Steve Harris... Bass (amazing right hand)
Nicko Mc Brian ... Drums (althouhg like Kazz stated, Dave Lombardo is up there, amazing feet)
Vocals? ... this is my toughest one, I loved many of the vocalists of this era, IMHO, the vocalist in 80s metal was the hardest piece of the puzzle. I worked in a Metal band for about 5 yearsin the 80s, we always had great drumers, guitarists (me smile.gif ) and bassists ... the hard part was finding someone to handle the power and range that was needed for 80s metal,  Halford, Ozzy, Dio, Vince Neil, Joe Lynn Turner, pearcy, Marc Storace (Krokus),  Klaus Meine ....

But, if there was one that I could chose, it would have to choose Bruce Dickinson

So ... basically it would be Iron Maiden with Randy Rhodes!!  smile.gif

PICK AGAIN!!! Randy's dead so he's excluded from this thread. Read the statutes governing the thread. LOL. The idea is that this band would need to record an album and tour. Unless Randy's greatness could supercede the boundries of DEATH, this can't happen. Otherwise i agree. Choose another lead guitarist.

awwwwww COME ON!!!!! This is just pretend anyways, Can I keep Randy in my make believe band? It would rock trust me LOL...

QUOTE (ES-335 @ Oct 1 2005, 02:50 PM)
. I worked in a Metal band for about 5 yearsin the 80s, we always had great drumers, guitarists (me smile.gif ) and bassists ... the hard part was finding someone to handle the power and range that was needed for 80s metal,

I know exactly where you are coming from. ES, how many times have you heard this comment about a band you've been in?

"Well, the music was kick ass but those vocals"............

Been there laugh.gif

Nigel Tufnel

David St. Hubbins

Derek Smalls

Viv Savage

Mick Shrimpton

'nough said

QUOTE (Oberon @ Oct 16 2005, 11:27 PM)

Viv Savage

Does anyone remember John Sinclair of Heavy Metal Kids/Uriah Heep fame? According to Bob Daisley, he was the original Viv Savage, but couldn't make it to the fial movie because of his commitments with Uriah Heep!

I am a big fan of Sinclair, BTW. And as I'm a keyboard player myself, I am a huge supporter of rock keyboarder rights! smile.gif

Currently John is in and out of Ozzy's band.

Okay, now my version of supergroup...

Drums: if we exclude 70s musicians, Dave Holland is out. If we exclude those who are already dead, Ingo Schwichtenburg is out. Then let it be Bobby Jarzombek! He was there with Juggernaut and he was superb even then. Tico Torres might also do, if we want someone with more of a household name.

Keyboards: John Sinclair! He plain rules. Another 80s keyboardist who is very talented and crimimally underrated is David Bryan. Yeah, another BJ dude.

Bass: John Leven of Europe. They will break up soon anyways, reunions never last long.

Guitar: Richie Kotzen - there's no-one else like him. He can shred and he can play the blues. He can do fusion and funk. He's the most diverse guitarist to come out of the 80s (even in his case it's more of early 90s).

Vocals: Blackie Lawless. He's a 70s musician actually, but c'mon, who ever heard his name in the 70s? There was many decent and plain cool singers in the 80s, but Blackie's just unique. Fierce, melodic and sensuous vocals. Plus Chris Holmes used to tell horror stories of what Blackie would do onstage when he wasn't busy with playing an instrument, so why don't we let him do that all again smile.gif

I wouldn't want to add Doro Pesch because, as much as I love her, she's more on the power metal side, not the mainstream 80s metal.

Drums: Thomen Stauch (Savage Circus/Ex Blind Guadian)

Lombardo is a technical god of cause but Thomen is still my favorite for his wide range of different styles.

Bass: Joey de Mayo (Manowar)

No question about it

Lead Guitar: Kai Hansen (Gamma Ray)

Just for his solo in "How many Tears" an very early Helloween track

Rhythm Guitar: Kerry King (Slayer)

Vocals: Carl McCoy (Fields of the Nephilim)

You want a dark heavy voice? Here you got it, check out the album "Zoon" by The Nefilim and you will understand.

What a band this would be............

Archived