Randy Rhodes

Snowdog

I dug out some old Ozzy with Randy on guitar. It still gives me goosebumps sometimes listening to him. He was so amazing. What a talented and tasteful player. He had the chops, technique, feel... everything.

When I listen to Ozzy with other guitarists playing Randy's parts it kind of makes me sad. I really liked Zakk Wylde's work with Ozzy, but he's no Randy Rhodes. If you put a live recording, bootleg or legit, of an Ozzy gig on, I can tell you within 1 minute whether or not it's Randy or someone else. I can't explain it, I can just hear Randy, feel his playing. The Metal scene was robbed of someone that could have blown the door open wider than Eddie Van Halen ever dreamed of. I still miss Randy even though I obviously never knew him. He was a special player to be sure.

I love RR

Ya he is one of my favorite 3 guitar players. I learned a lot of his stuff back in the day. I loved playing his solos, just learning them made me a better musician and helped me understand music theory in general. I like playing the solo to flying high again with the 2 hand taping, he goes on and on and on. It seemed like he got good all of a sudden becaus I have some songs from him playing with Quit riot and they were kind of weak, then on Blizzard of oz and diary of a madman he blew me away, like within 2 years he got so much better..... No one writes songs like "You cant kill rock-n-roll" or "Goodbye to romance" anymore, not even close.

I loved the Revelation Mother Earth/Steal Away combo on Blizzard of Ozz, and the title track on Diary of a Madman. I still love to listen to those two albums.

Outside of the No More Tears CD, I've never paid much attention to Ozzy's stuff after Randy's death. The other stuff just isn't that inspired, or inspiring.

I remember reading that Randy Rhoads was possibly burning out on the heavy metal scene before his death, that he was interested in just playing classical guitar. No idea whether that's really true, but I do remember reading it somewhere.

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Aug 16 2005, 05:49 AM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Aug 15 2005, 11:41 PM)
Snowdog you should put these live boots in your new ipod!  Found these and posted them a little while ago...

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/HONEYCOMBHIDEOUT/mp3backup.html

653.gif Thanks Test! 653.gif

No problem man trink39.gif

Also check out this rare vid of Randy with Quiet Riot in the Rhoads thread I started...

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?show...=8706&hl=rhoads

Goooooooooooooddamn! Thanks a lot, for that vid, Testy! ohmy.gif Noone was playing like that, back then, with the exception of Shawn Lane of course. Always loved Randy's raw, mid-range tone! Thanks again!

Archived