Categorize my band...help

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Jun 26 2008, 05:02 PM)
There's some definite funk in Mojo Devils Claw.

Yeah, kind of a Dave Matthews-style funk. And "I'm a Roman Candle" has a swing/rockabilly feel. "Comets and Cigarettes" sounds like a song you'd hear Quentin Tarantino use in one of his movies.

Yes, "Comets and Cigarettes" belongs in Pulp Fiction for sure. I've always thought the same thing. Has that Surfer feel to it.

BTW, the cut that made the record is not the way we do it live. It was originally played with the Flamenco guitar in the opening and the entire solo section. But I changed the arrangement, left out the flamenco during the intro and put a sax solo in the middle. Totally different from the way the song was written. It was the only major call I made as producer that the guys were a little unsure about. Doesn't look like we will ever be playing it live just like the recording, but it's something I am working on with the guys.

Gompers, we are Not Rockabilly. Mabey some slight references, but not as a whole. I have some friends in a band called The High Rollers, and they Are Rockabilly, and very good at it. National touring band.

I do hear a certain amount of Dave Matthews in a few of our tunes, but it's mostly because of the saxophone and a few melody lines. Believe me, I would love to say we sound like Dave, but no way as a whole.

Let me think about moving the thread.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 26 2008, 03:53 PM)
QUOTE (Cowtothesky @ Jun 26 2008, 06:39 PM)
I really hear some Indie/Americana influence in it. I called it Progressive Americana, because it definitely has a progressive flavor to it.

Now I think we're getting somewhere... wink.gif

Yes, yes. Thanks that's getting somewhere now.

I really like the terms I've read which are Swing Rock, and Progressive Americana. I also agree there is a certain amount of Funk and Alternative, but hesitate to actually want to 'label' the music as either of those.

It's Funk-americ-alter-rock

QUOTE (Pags @ Jun 27 2008, 05:28 AM)
I really like the terms I've read which are Swing Rock, and Progressive Americana. I also agree there is a certain amount of Funk and Alternative, but hesitate to actually want to 'label' the music as either of those.

It's Funk-americ-alter-rock

Funk-americ-alter-rock is wicked !! Very creative Pags. I might have to try that out on some people tonight at our Cd Release Party tonight.

I like the sound of Progressive Americana as well.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 27 2008, 08:13 AM)
Be-bop one-drop hip-hop lite-pop-metal.  1022.gif

tongue.gif

I like Progressive Americana as well. Maybe Alternative Americana.

laugh.gif That's great.

You're right, the word 'progressive' is not quite right because we really aren't progressive. Alternative Americana is really good.

(1-0-0 Did you figure out the pdf issue?)

Edited by launchpad67a

QUOTE (gleamingalloyaircar81 @ Jun 25 2008, 11:14 AM)
laugh.gif

Yea we're getting there though and I think we have the same problem as you! I cant think of what our band is either!

hmm.....acoustic

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Jun 27 2008, 12:43 PM)
laugh.gif

Yea we're getting there though and I think we have the same problem as you!  I cant think of what our band is either!

hmm.....acoustic

There are already two Moonlight threads that are constantly being bumped. No reason to invade this one as well. wink.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 27 2008, 12:56 PM)
QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Jun 27 2008, 12:43 PM)
laugh.gif

Yea we're getting there though and I think we have the same problem as you!  I cant think of what our band is either!

hmm.....acoustic

There are already two Moonlight threads that are constantly being bumped. No reason to invade this one as well. wink.gif

Amen to that.

Well off I go to start setting up for our big CD Release Party tonight. Should be a huge blowout!

See ya tomorrow.

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jun 27 2008, 02:17 PM)
Well off I go to start setting up for our big CD Release Party tonight. Should be a huge blowout!

See ya tomorrow.

I'll be there in spirit, Mike! Have a great time and congrats again on a great collection of original music! trink39.gif

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jun 27 2008, 02:17 PM)

See ya tomorrow.

Best of luck with all of it, Mike. And congrats on the event. Tell us how it goes! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif trink39.gif

Here's the thing about calling it Americana or indie. There is a HUGE underground market for that stuff all over the world. Very easy to market too, using myspace and other networks. I know people who are beginning-level players that are getting noticed worldwide. A good progressive band like yours could clean house in that genre smile.gif.

I listened to all the songs several times and really liked them all! I feel C and C the most. I was thinking it doesn't sound like anyone I'm aware of and that must be a complement, that I can't place the genre (there's fusion afoot), and that C and C made me think of Pulp Fiction. Then I read through the this thread and it's already been said. Alternative Americana sounds about right, but it doesn't seem to me to quite convey all that your music does. That's the thing though I guess; whatever you call it, it never truly fits. I can't come up with anything better. Swing Rock Salsalternative Americana Fusion.. no.gif

Much luck and success to your excellent band! trink39.gif

(edited to add i got here through RR's Sweet Nasty thread in MotS. Sweet Nasty is a cool band name btw. Makes me think The Big Dirty biggrin.gif ).

Edited by Lerxster