David Gilmour remasters review

floydfanatic111

The new David Gilmour remasters review.

After many a delay, Columbia Records in the US finally re-released Pink Floyd singer/guitarist David Gilmour's first two solo albums in remastered form on September 12, 2006. On street date, I got About Face at my work and my work got the original issue of self-titled so rather than wait two weeks, I ordered a copy from Sonymusicstore.com and had it delivered 3 day mail and it WAS MORE THAN WORTH IT. In fact, I have two copies(one for car, one for house)

Well, the self-titled David Gilmour solo album(still his best 28 years on) has benefitted greatly from the remastering. Many of the tracks are longer from ten to thirty plus seconds longer than the original CD. Mihalis has a longer outro which is awesome and you can hear more DG guitar pyrotechnics. There's No Way Out of Here has a longer fadeout as well with more excellent DG soloing. So Far Away's fadeout is longer and better. Raise My Rent has a 15 second longer fadeout. No Way has a 44 second longer ending as DG duets with himself between lap steel guitar and Fender Stratocaster which was not on original album or CD. The closing I Can't Breathe Anymore is 35 seconds longer and a much better fadeout than original CD with DG playing another great multitracked guitar duet between his Stratocaster and his lap steel guitar. Doug Sax(longtime mastering engineer of PF and PF related work since 1979's The Wall) outdid himself and the remastering jobs he did for the other albums in PF's catalog. Also, the booklet is eight pages featuring all of the original album artwork plus some photos of DG I had not ever seen before.

About Face sounds better than original CD. Until We Sleep is a couple seconds longer than original CD. Near the End's ending solo is a bit longer and hearing DG solo more was worth it. The rest of the tracks sound more crisp and clear though no longer fadeouts. Murder and All Lovers Are Deranged have not ever sounded better. The CD's booklet has all of the original vinyl artwork plus some extra promo photos of DG from the AF era.

BUY THEM NOW!

You know, being a huge Floyd fan, I've been meaning to pick up each member's solo albums. I already have Syd Barrett's "The Madcap Laughs" & "Barrett", but have been thinking about getting Roger & Dave's solo albums. Thanks for the review FF111, I'll check it out. smile.gif

Just listened to the remaster of the 1978 David Gilmour album. Definitely worth the purchase price.

I have "About Face" on vinyl and I think the '78 solo effort is better overall.

Archived