Night Begins to Shine

Rutlefan

I remember the night clearly. Senior prom, second half of the '80s. Kylie Minogue was my date before she broke big and stopped answering my calls. Had met her at a casting call a for She's the Boss (neither of us got a part). Kylie was awesome but I most remember this haunting power ballad the DJ played. I asked him what it was but he brushed me off. Didn't worry, figured I'd find it anyway, but never did. I combed record bins for album covers with oil paintings of mystical animals, jean jackets and sequins, puffy-haired musicians (probably European or Canadian), but never found the song. Bothered me over the years but eventually gave up. Then the other day I'm walk by the tv while my kid is watching Teen Titans Go! and I hear "The Song".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uR131fc2pZY

Seriously though, my 5 year-old watches this show and now I can't get this song out of my head. It out-survives Survivor; it leaves Europe still counting; it turns April Wine to vinegar; it makes me want to go out and buy a wolf fur vest, or at least a blacklight poster with that wolf with the penetrating gaze. It IS the greatest power ballad ever!

Edited by Rutlefan

^ No I didn't really. The whole post is a fantasy, like the song, recorded for the show by "B.E.R." -- (Carl) Burnett, (Franklin) Enea, & (William) Reagan of the Frank Enea Band ...I guess at least; don't know anything about them but sampling some songs on YT they seem a respectable rock band. I really like this one for example.

p.s. Nice signature pic btw! Lucky guys in Oakland. ;)

Edited by Rutlefan

A friend corrected me, writing, "That isn’t a power ballad. Its more techno/synthesizer. Power ballads are every rose has its thorn, Love Song – Tesla, Heaven – Warrant. Those are power ballads!"

So I replied, "Power ballads exist in the murk of “it sucks so badly that I don’t know what it is” so I won’t doubt your claim. I do think though that this is a parody of those weird ‘80s big-hair synth rock ballads a la The Final Countdown or Eye of the Tiger, with less ra ra and covered in pseudo-mystical goo. Don’t know how those tracks are categorized exactly I admit."

Another friend then added, "I always liked Lita Ford and Ozzy’s Close My Eyes Forever. Oh, Ozzy’s Shot in the Dark! I love that song! Maybe I categorize power ballad with a big stadium sound. The lead singer looks tortured, tired from being on the road so much and away from his woman, but he’s doing it for you Cleveland!"

So, maybe not the best power ballad ever, but it's the best something!