For you fans of Tones on Tail

Rutlefan

I've never known much about Glenn Campling but I stumbled across this really good interview from 2008. Seems like a cool guy, and the tone is so different from these dysfunctional bands whose ex-members can't but help throw each other under the bus every chance they get. ToT will always be one of my favorite acts. Such a cool and unique sound.

http://blog.godsandalcoves.com/2014/03/22/glenn-youre-smiling-an-interview-with-glenn-campling-of-tones-on-tail/

Oh, nice, thanks for posting that. I've never heard anything from Glenn Campling before. Heck, I've heard very little from anyone in the Bauhaus/ToT/L&R family in general.

On a related note, I just finished a book by David J. that talks about his life and the music he was involved in. I recall he mentioned that Glenn was a roadie who got too big for his britches and wanted to actually play music, hence his involvement in ToT.

http://www.goldminemag.com/wp-content/uploads/david-j-book.jpg

"I recall he mentioned that Glenn was a roadie who got too big for his britches and wanted to actually play music, hence his involvement in ToT."

Basically how I've always heard it, but Daniel thought enough of him obviously to let him play, and give him equal billing (good for Daniel who seems like a fine bloke). In the interview, Campling says he was more a good friend of the band (via Daniel) who helped out; in that sense he was a "roadie." Whatever the case, he was a fellow art school nerd with Daniel, which seems to be where most of those Brit post punksters start (following numerous earlier examples like Ray Davies and John Lennon of course). Being a good friend of Daniel's before there was Bauhaus, to suggest he was simply a band-worshipping roadie who horned in on Daniel's good graces is clearly off base. It does seem as though he might have worn out his welcome at some point, as Daniel and Kevin went forward with David J.

I've nothing against David J, but I prefer ToT to either Bauhaus or Love and Rockets, so I don't know what that means. I know that I never liked any of the Bauhaus or L&R songs that David J sang himself so I guess I've always thought that whatever influence David J had on the music was unwelcome from my perspective.

That said, because of David J I discovered The Jazz Butcher Conspiracy, with whom he played for a bit, so I'm really grateful for him for that because the JBC are one of my all-time favorites, top 6 or so if I counted. Speaking of, here's an early (from their excessively cheeky period) JBC song with a shout out to Love and Rockets (at 1:45). Pretty funny. BTW, does David talk about JBC much? I might have to get the book if he does, I just love those guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbLyZkHi_f8

Edit: Rushhead, if you're watching this, don't take it too literally. :haz:

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 1