A Tribute to The Glasgow Apollo

Milton Bridge

Remember the Glaswegian Choir on Closer to The Heart on Exit stage Left.

It was recorded in the Glasgow Apollo, probably Britains best music venue through the 70's and 80's. It was a real dump but the crowd were famous - I have had some fantastic nights there.

I found this tribute to the Apollo. Sadly it was pulled down a few years ago and is now a multiplex cinema fists crying.gif

Apollo

The sad truth is that a lot of the great Uk venues are sadly slipping from then Tour schedules.

Where are the gigs at the Hammersmith Odeon (last I heard it was the Labatt's Apollo), Sheffield City Hall, Leicester DeMontford Hall, Stafford Bingley Hall, Manchester Apollo, Ipswich Gaumont, Birmingham Odeon, Hanley Victoria Halls and others of that ilk.

Nowdays, they all seem to be the identikit arenas qith horrible sound and no atmosphere.

Sad but true.

sweet; i always wanted to see the venue. too bad it couldn't have been remodeled but them scots are big on making new statements with architechture. i remember looking at pics of the SECC for the first time saying....wow RUSH are playing THERE! it was an OK venue but yeah i bet seeing them at the APOLLO was pretty sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

QUOTE (Milton Bridge @ Jul 23 2005, 05:02 AM)
Remember the Glaswegian Choir on Closer to The Heart on Exit stage Left.

It was recorded in the Glasgow Apollo, probably Britains best music venue through the 70's and 80's. It was a real dump but the crowd were famous - I have had some fantastic nights there.

I found this tribute to the Apollo. Sadly it was pulled down a few years ago and is now a multiplex cinema fists crying.gif

Apollo

biggrin.gif Aye MB the Apollo was a cracking venue, like you say, an absolute midden but you couldn't top that atmosphere! The Edinburgh Playhouse and Aberdeen Capitol were contenders, but the crowd there were a little less enthusiastic, but enjoyed themselves just the same. Happy Days! smile.gif smile.gif trink39.gif

Archived