The Book Thief

workingcinderellaman

This movie addresses the issue of being a German citizen during Hitler's rise to power. I have a neighbor who recently passed away who fought for Germany on the eastern front against the Soviet Union. It's easy to demonize the German people under Hitler as a whole but it's not that simple and there were some very good people who got caught up in that mess.

This movie addresses the issue of being a German citizen during Hitler's rise to power. I have a neighbor who recently passed away who fought for Germany on the eastern front against the Soviet Union. It's easy to demonize the German people under Hitler as a whole but it's not that simple and there were some very good people who got caught up in that mess.

I didn't know that's what the book/movie was about. I've been interested in Hitlers Eastern Front ever since a German lady I worked with many years ago told me about her father never returning from fighting the Russians.

I didn't know that's what the book/movie was about. I've been interested in Hitlers Eastern Front ever since a German lady I worked with many years ago told me about her father never returning from fighting the Russians.

It's not about the eastern front; that was my neighbor. I just mentioned him because he fought for the Nazis during WW2 but he's not a bad guy. The movie takes place inside Germany where people have to deal with supporting Hitler or be subject to the consequences of not supporting him. It gives you more empathy toward the German people and why they supported Hitler during that time. Most probably did but not all of them. The ones who didn't suffered for it.