Attention Cinephiles: New Werner Herzog Film—Queen of the Desert

Tombstone Mountain

Yaaaaayyyyyy!!!!! New Herzog flick---Great actors making a film for dirt cheap! AWESOME!

Naomi Watts Out, Nicole Kidman In For Werner Herzog’s Sweeping ‘Queen of the Desert’

by Drew Taylor

September 8, 2013 12:53 PM

21 Comments

Like a mirage that seems to vanish in the arid air, Naomi Watts has departed Werner Herzog’s new film, “Queen of the Desert,” but been replaced by someone of equally impressive star magnitude in Nicole Kidman. The news comes out of the Toronto International Film Festival, which is where all news should be coming out of this week. The film co-stars James Franco and Robert Pattinson and tells the story of real-life 20th century explorer Gertrude Bell. Expect lots of sand and those old timey explorer helmets.

The casting switcheroo isn’t unique for the project, which charts Bell’s involvement in the formation of the Middle East at the dawn of the 20th century, as Jude Law was originally slated for the production, only to be replaced by Franco.

“Queen of the Desert” will mark Herzog’s first narrative feature since 2009’s perplexing pseudo-thriller “My Son, My Son, What Have Ye Done?” and the Nicolas Cage-led, WTF-worthy cult classic in the making (or maybe it’s there already) “The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans.” Since then he’s garnered much more attention for his often hypnotic documentaries, things like 2010’s indie smash (in 3D no less) “Cave of Forgotten Dreams” and 2011’s death row examination “Into the Abyss.” It should be interesting to see Herzog back in the narrative game, especially with a film that promises to provide such a large canvas.

Kidman will star as, in the words of the report, an “iconic explorer, writer, archeologist and attaché for the British Empire.” We can see Kidman really sinking her teeth into the role, which is described as having a similar vibe as “Lawrence of Arabia.” Sounds pretty killer to us.

The actress can be seen at Toronto in “The Railway Man” (you can read our review right now), which is currently seeking acquisition and will be all over the Oscar prognosticators' forecasts when “Grace of Monaco” (where the star plays Grace Kelly) is released by The Weinstein Company on November 27th.

•  

Edited by Tombstone Mountain

Wow, sounds promising. Thanks for the heads up Duff. The Herzog list is getting longer and longer and I haven't seen a fractional amount of his films.
  • Like 1

Wow, sounds promising. Thanks for the heads up Duff. The Herzog list is getting longer and longer and I haven't seen a fractional amount of his films.

Good news Grey...you can go to amazon and buy his films for a pittance. Definately check out "Invincible"...great film. Also, his documentary "The Great Ecstasy of the Woodcarver Steiner" about a german artist who had a crazy gift for ski jumping. Just got to YouTube and watch it—hypnotic!
  • Like 1

I just watched the Steiner movie and hypnotic is the best word to describe this film. Those slow motion scenes with the Popol Vuh music are absolutely stunning. A very ambitious piece of art. Love it.

Btw, they must be crazy during the 70's jumping without helmets. :banghead:

Thanks for the tip. I'll check out Invincible next.

• Like 1

I just watched the Steiner movie and hypnotic is the best word to describe this film. Those slow motion scenes with the Popol Vuh music are absolutely stunning. A very ambitious piece of art. Love it.

Glad you took the time to see it. Another short documentary that's fascinating is "Fata Morgana". Herzog, for some reason was driven to make a film about mirages. Once again great music but zero dialogue. The DVD has a directors commentary by Werner that explains his vision.

Glad you took the time to see it. Another short documentary that's fascinating is "Fata Morgana". Herzog, for some reason was driven to make a film about mirages. Once again great music but zero dialogue. The DVD has a directors commentary by Werner that explains his vision.

Thanks man. If I find the time I'll look it up this weekend. Herzog is such a possessed director, I have no chance not to love this guy.

• Like 1

Cool, I've been a semi-fan of Hertzog's for a few years now. Rescue Dawn was fantastic!
  • Like 1

Cool, I've been a semi-fan of Hertzog's for a few years now. Rescue Dawn was fantastic!

yes it is a great film. Check out the documentary "Little Dieter needs to fly" on youtube....there you get to meet the real Dieter.His eccentricities brought about by PTSD are captured by Herzog. NBA start Elton Brand was one of the producers for Rescue Dawn BTW...Ol' Werner gets money for his projects from unexpected resources Edited by Tombstone Mountain